Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So no 16 nights + two & half thousand mile Euro Road Trip to report on this year due to family commitments right in the middle of our two weeks of booked Holiday... :|
Though as We would have departed for Europe the day after the Blexit vote (I’m thinking old TopGear crew in Argentina & Falklands number plate incident...) this might have been a fortuitous move... :surprise:

So departing mid morning on a sunny Sunday – Top down of course, We headed West on the M4 towards "Bristol" soon tagging along behind a Silver R170 – Also top down, but no wind restrictor present... This was cool till they pulled off at "Reading Services" – Didn’t think too much of this, till they caught up with Us again quite a few miles later, now top up...!! So did the Lady passenger with long hair & no baseball cap have enough of the top down driving...?

Having passed Bristol, did a left turn onto the M5 – Gateway to the South West of course...
Stopping after just over two hours & 140 miles of Motorway driving for a caffeine stop:

We have to say at this point that the French Motorway Picnic stops are more to our liking.
Back on our way again, We exited the M5 at Exeter, for some more interesting SLK driving roads R)
The B3212, which crosses Dartmoor from East to West: (Plus West to East, if Your driving the other way from Plymouth!)

Once past Moretonhampstead, the B3212 climbs up onto the moors for a fine view on a clear day:

Though any road that goes, has to come down and out next stop was “Postbridge”

This fine example of a “Clapper Bridge” was first recorded in 1380, with it’s slabs over four metres (13 ft) long, two metres (6 ft 6 in) wide and weigh over eight tons each, making the bridge passable to a small cart, though not SLK’s....
Luckily, a newer one has been built next to it – But even this bridge isn’t that new..!!

Onward past "Princetown" - Home of Her Majesty’s B&B – For anyone having the audacity to steal an AMG 55
(or any other SLK, for that matter) from it’s proud owner....
Checked out another view point, but with the clouds thickening, was not worth going any further West,
but got this view driving back towards “Two Bridges”:

After “Two Bridges” (Yes, it does have 2 x bridges..!) headed South East on the “B3357” towards “Dartmeet” but did a right turn to explore a high level road & a few miles after “Hexworthy” came across a lovely parking area right next to “Combestone Tor”.
With the dark clouds clearing and the late evening sunshine taking back control, got this stunning picture:

And also had a walk around the stones, to enjoy the Dartmoor valley views:

Having lingered long enough at this lovely spot, just had the final sprint over to our Bed & Breakfast near “Kingsbridge” which would be our base for the next 5 nights:

Trev' & Carole.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Thanks for sharing the update Trev, and some great pics too... I'm already looking forward to your Lake District update after this coming weekend, even though I'm going to be there with you! :tu:

·
Registered 2013 SLK250 CDI
361 Posts
You were lucky Trev. When i did that area a couple of years back, every thing was fine untill the mist and rain came down.

Makes HMP Dartmoor even more sinister.

·
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day Two - Slapton Sands & Dartmouth:

Day two started with light rain drifting in swathes up the valley: “Not Idea” top down weather...
So took our time over out full English breakfast & chatted to the owner about His move down to South Devon from Guildford.

With the rain stopped, finally got under way and first stop was “Slapton Sands”
Here stands a corroded Sherman tank, dredged from the bay where it sank. It's a memorial to the young Americans who died during operation Tiger back in 1944, when Slapton Sands was used by tens of thousands of American troops, as a practice ground for the Normandy Landings..

Now with the roof dry enough to tuck away where it should be, moved further down the beach - Here is another memorial to Operation Tiger, with a commanding view looking out to sea:

While in this same car park, a couple up from Plymouth for the day in their Designo Green R170 stopped for a chat:
Asked if He was a member of SLKWorld.com and He was!!

Next stop Dartmouth – Coffee & lunch on the habour side & stalked by the super size seagulls, looking for a easy meal to steal:

Then worked out way around the harbour – Always amazes Me that the information signs always know exactly where You are:

And finally Dartmouth Castle – Didn’t fancy looking around, as most of it is under ground, but did have a ice cream while enjoying the view :tu:

Attachments

·
Registered 2002 SLK230
36 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm new to all this. I'm surprised how much boot space there is in my 2002 SLK 230 but not sure I could get luggage for two people for more than a couple of days in it!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,332 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'm new to all this. I'm surprised how much boot space there is in my 2002 SLK 230 but not sure I could get luggage for two people for more than a couple of days in it!

Two methods.

1. Driver gets the boot, passenger the glovebox.
2. Take two SLKs.

·
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your R170 boot is a slightly different shape to our R171/R172 boot, but a good starting point is to get two suite cases that exactly fit the SLK boot, which good old "TK Maxx" use to sell lots of suitable cases, but budget air-lines seemed to have driven the carry-on case size slightly smaller..??

This is the size that fits the R171 perfectly:

But Your need a suite case with in-line skate wheels & expandable:

Though the new style of four twidley wheels, for smooth airport floors are not good (wasting space)

..and the end result with a little practice - while still be able to put the roof down:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts