Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I soon will be a member of the SLK clan. My name is Khang, and I live in Northern CA. San Jose to be exact. I've been riding motorcycles for for a few years now commuting to school and work. This will be my first car :) I'm very excited about the car and hope to have good experiences with it.

I'm looking to purchase a 2001 slk320 6 speed manual. Is it any better than auto in term of reliability?

I did some research but can't seem to find any high mileage SLK320 anywhere. Will these cars last to 200K miles? without too much work? I'll be commuting about 10K-15K a year.

I'll be seeing the car next week. Are there any specific places to pay attention to when checking the car out.

Thanks

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Welcome fellow rider and a v-twin lover too :)

SLK as a first car good choice :)

Cant help you out with any of your questions though :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello from France,

It can take a lot of time to find a manual 320 in your country, it's even more difficult to find than a 32 AMG

the V6 engine is very reliable, and 200 k miles is not a problem if it has been serviced by MB, and if you can get all the bills to know what job has been done.

anyway, check the roof, the exhaust and catalitic might have been changed, the 12 spark plugs too every 4 years or about 60/80 000 miles, shock absorbers and brakes, look if there is any leak under the car, and the state of the engine/gear box, be aware of any suspicious noise when you drive and have a good try with somebody that knows the 320

don't buy it without having solved any electrical problem or any light alert on the dash board.

at least, keep some money to maintain it in case . . .

And now, go and get one, to enjoy the sound of the V6

http://slk320.fr/jfr/slk320-V6sound.wmv

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
vtwin,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome from Atlanta! There is an SLK group that get's together in No Cal. Check the regional section. You may do well to connect with them.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from the rainy south.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm happy to have found this wonderful site. I've schemed through a lot of posts in here :) and read a bunch. So I decided to go for that SLK320 and Its about to need a 100K miles service. Is it a good price at $8,500 USD and it has 99500 miles right now. :biglaugh:

-Khang

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome.....

A Mercedes Benz will statistically will have his first break down after One Million Kilometers, not a joke.

My friend has a 2003 slk 200, and he has over 190.000km/h on it, never ever had he have any issues, besides for basic oil change and break pads change etc.
Oil change once a year / every 10.000 miles - synthetic oil ONLY!!!
Remember, a German car is always an investment!!!

Just make sure the car is inspected by a Mercedes Benz dealer first,before purchase!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
mine has 97,000 miles

Hi everyone, I soon will be a member of the SLK clan. My name is Khang, and I live in Northern CA. San Jose to be exact. I've been riding motorcycles for for a few years now commuting to school and work. This will be my first car :) I'm very excited about the car and hope to have good experiences with it.

I'm looking to purchase a 2001 slk320 6 speed manual. Is it any better than auto in term of reliability?

I did some research but can't seem to find any high mileage SLK320 anywhere. Will these cars last to 200K miles? without too much work? I'll be commuting about 10K-15K a year.

I'll be seeing the car next week. Are there any specific places to pay attention to when checking the car out.

Thanks
mine has 97,000 miles and very few problems spent about 1,200 due to some kind of air intake sensor going out. for synthetic oil changes you will spend at least $95 other than that mine runs strong and seems very reliable the 320 engine is known to be durable and they are easy to find they are in lots of benz cars. I love my 6 speed manual transmission makes the car so much fun to drive. I also own a mini van for those easy family drives. good luck with your 320 also be carefull i have found mine addictive and now always looking at ways to customize it and perform better:rb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.