Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
55's can have the Bi Xenons (and they generally do)

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I think the main issue (for us in the UK) might be the challenge of getting them for RHD cars. :(

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Bi xenon are when they are used for low and high beam aren't they, we only have them for low beam. Not sure that helps you though Sean.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
They are used for both Hi and Low beam - the shutter controls the light pattern

And the Xenons are were available to be factory fitted to 55's - mine came with them!

Check the 'fish gill' style cutouts on the circular part of the light housing - if they are transparent and you can see light through them (when the lights are on of course) you have Xenon's (there should be headlight washers too)
If they are solid then you have halogens.

Obviously data cards will confirm, as will the presence of the ballasts if you take the lights out etc etc

Reactions: davest4s and dbgrn

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Bi xenon are when they are used for low and high beam aren't they, we only have them for low beam. Not sure that helps you though Sean.
As Sean has said, if you have xenon on the SLK R171, then you have bi-xenon (i.e. high and low beam). I know there's a regular halogen H7 bulb still in the headlight housing, even if you have bi-xenon - I believe that's there just for the headlight "flash" function, as xenon lights don't like brief flashes.

These are RHD. The 05 brochure says Xenons are not available on the 55, how can you check.

MERCEDES SLK R171 05-11 BLACK LED DRL R8 STYLE DEVIL EYE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS

The ones for bi Xenons are over £100 more!
As I've said above, if you let us have your VIN we can get your datacard for you, to check for sure.

However, having just looked again at your March ROTM winning photo, I'd say that it looks like you have the headlamp washers, so you probably do have bi-xenon. Although more expensive, the good news is that the following eBay listing is for RHD versions of these lights:
MERCEDES SLK R171 05-11 BLACK LED DRL DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS XENON HEADLIGHTS

I've looked for RHD versions of these (for bi-xenon) lots of times, but never been able to find any... there's a possibility that I might even order a set of these for myself now... ;)

Reactions: davest4s

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the headlight washers so it looks like I do - data card requested.

At £300 it was a definite buy but another 25%? Can I get it past the wife :surprise::surprise:

The issue for me is to try and give the nose a more aggressive look and add some DRLs. While people have done a splendid job with after market ones they still look a bit stuck on.

I wonder dbgrn if he'll do a discount for a double purchase?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
This is Sonar, might be worth asking them direct: SONAR AUTO PARTS CO., LTD.
:laugh:
Thanks Terence, but Sean and I have now ordered the bi-xenon version of the headlights from the eBay seller, here:
MERCEDES SLK R171 05-11 BLACK LED DRL DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS XENON HEADLIGHTS

Although Sean called them and negotiated a better price if we both ordered them today, which we have now done! :tu:

They're due to arrive early next week... fitting will be weather (and workload) dependent for me, as I don't have shelter for the car while I fit them. I'm sure that Sean or I will post another update once they're fitted though! :D
@seanAshton - I wonder whether fitting them will be similar to fitting the Spyder headlights...
SPYDER Headlights

Reactions: Terentius55

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Good news guys cannot wait to see what they look like...

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Help!!!! Sonar/spyder lights

My lights arrived today and I have an issue! Now I've followed the video but obviously that's not bi-xenon lights so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

The DRLs work fine as does full beam but no dipped beam....however, the DRLs stay illuminated? What am I doing wrong. The bulbs aren't an issues as I've plugged my old headlight in and they work fine.

Any clues great fully received.

Sean

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,854 Posts
Has Durk sorted this out for you? If so what was the problem? On these lights are the DRL's wired in the place of parking/side lights? Hope you get it sorted, look forward to the pics.

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
5,006 Posts
Looks like Sean forgot about this thread :D. The problem was with the igniter modules that screw onto the back of the BiX D2 bulbs. Even on the bulb holders used in the OEM fixtures these things are finnicky. On the Spyders it seems to be even worse, and often requires more force to turn them into the correct orientation than seems prudent.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's exactly it. You really have to force the things in, which makes you doubt the positioning, especially when one of the wrong positions goes in easier than the correct one. There's a real wince moment. I spent 2-3 hours trying to get it sorted, swapping bulbs, back to the original to confirm, in -out-in out. Thankfully a PM from Durk the following morning had it sorted.
Basically the large arrow faces outwards with the force to get it there as required :surprise:
Some tips.
Video is very good but there are variations for the AMG bumper.
AMG has 8 & 10mm bolts
The grill has some pathetic plastic card behind which breaks easily. Worth having some modellers 1mm black plastic card on hand.
The connector into the ignition pack does not slip crisply, in fact it's a crap design. Once the pack is in check this connection is in place.
Prior to fitting the new lights check the adjustment screws on the original and transfer the thread lengths.
Get some back foam (or similar) to wedge under the bumper to help support it if working solo.
You don't need a cup t collect the washer fluid, I needed 5lts worth of containers.
The retaining screws for the bumper/fender at the sides were put in place by either child labour or a pigmy with magic powers! Have your full vocab of swear words on hand!!!!!!!!

As a solo job I would give it 5 hrs if taken carefully - there will be issues.

But they do look fab - standby for an OEM set of headlights going up for sale soon and some eyelids >:D>:D>:D>:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.