Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been logging in and lurking for about a year now, feeding off the great information and knowledge base everyone in this group has graciously donated. I want to thank all the posters that have helped me with my 2000 slk230 Kompressor that I have owned for almost 3 year now. After dealing with the flaking dash and console, putting in a new transmission, a new mass air flow sensor, ignition coil for #2, new differential bearing, plugs, wires, etc... It has been exhausting! The only reason I keep it is because it looks so good and it was my divorce present to myself. So this is my "hello" post and thanks to all the advice I've received. I look forward to hearing from you all.
RR)

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. If you've been lurking for long enough, you'll know that JB will be hunting you down soon!!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan......

Reactions: roben12

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Greetings from Atlanta! I'm curious about one thing you mentioned -- new differential bearing -- what happened there? I've got a 171 and it's making some slight noise in the rear, not too bad but I hear it and worry about it all the time... what did yours sound like before you replaced it?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

Reactions: roben12

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,199 Posts
Roben,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bearing

Greetings from Atlanta! I'm curious about one thing you mentioned -- new differential bearing -- what happened there? I've got a 171 and it's making some slight noise in the rear, not too bad but I hear it and worry about it all the time... what did yours sound like before you replaced it?
The differential bearing went out after I had the transmission replaced. (funny coincidence) My mechanic replaced it at his cost (I guess it could have been damaged when the transmission was pulled). After $4500 for the transmission I drove it out and it would run fine until I got it to about 45 mph and then it would rattle the whole car like it was in a paint mixer. It happened twice and I pulled the car into a neighborhood and stopped. It was a very strong vibration that rattled the whole car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts