Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone left a business card to this site on my SLK :)

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  DG75 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, I bought a 2001 SLK 230 Kompressor about a month ago and had been doing some research on it, mainly on this site. This place seemed to be the best hub of info on these cars, so I'd already considered joining so I can at least view the photos posted in threads.

Yesterday I was at the bank on my lunch and when I came back out to my car, someone had left a www.slkworld.com business card on my driver side window. That just confirmed I had to join here! I want to give props to whoever left that card on my car and if you're reading this and it's you, please introduce yourself! I have a list of plans I have in store for this car and want to have some good guys to go through it with. Hopefully some guys with a lot of knowledge about these cars and what to look for. I was a mechanic for years, but haven't worked with this car until now. Plus my personal mechanic I've had for over 20 years died recently. He was practically family to me as most mechanics are. Happy to be here guys!

#3 ·
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

If you'd like to get some business cards so you can pass forward the same good deeds to other SLKs you see, then please look here:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/50921-slkworld-business-cards.html

Don’t forget to lube those seals:

Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Dave

Reactions: DG75
#11 ·
Welcome from Portland/Clackamas, Oregon. Was not I that dropped the card on you, but may have been Beekster (aka Greg). He also lives in the Hillsboro area. If you enjoy getting together with other enthusiasts for meets and drives, check out the Beaver State SLK's by going to Tools, Quick Links, Social Groups and lastly Beaver State SLK's. Also check out the SLK NW Group. They are based out of the Seattle area but have drives that will bring them down our way at times as well. Enjoy the top down driving and this great weather that we have been having.

#14 ·
You did the right thing by joining us. This forum is very insightful and entertaining.

When I see the word "Oregon" it warms my heart because as a child my mommy would put me on a plane and send me to Culp Creek, OR to visit my gampy. I honestly don't remember the first time I flew-it was probably about the age of 6. You could do stuff like that then-just ask the airline to watch your child and they would treat you like a VIP with cookies and trips to the cockpit and such. And of course the destination was the ultimate utopia. I went at least twice a year from age 6 to 13. Ahhh....Oregon, the land of milk and honey....

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

#18 ·
Avel Du, no there wasn't a hand written name on the business card, but that's a good idea! Never the less, it was a very cool thing to encounter, and now I have all you mates to talk SLKs with! :)

Thanks for the awesome responses on here! I have a list of things I need to do on my SLK. There's some great things that dbgrn posted that I'll be looking into as well.

At this point, I'm looking to do the following:
Replace rear view mirror (lava lamp effect)
replaced MAF sensor (error code P0101)
Also got error code P0401 (just got check valve and shut off valve for secondary air induction system and will replace them this week) This error code has caused my supercharger to not work for the last week. When I start the car in the morning or when I get out of work, it starts rough, and due to the supercharger being out, the engine is pretty laggy right now. I'd like to hear if anyone has some other good advice on this code. It seems that this could be a few different things.
My car currently has 99k miles on it, so I know there's some general maintenance things I'll need to get done here. On another thread I was reading about needing to change the supercharger oil. This isn't my first sports car by far or roadster, but it is my first supercharger.
also, upgrading the grill to a new one. The original is in great condition, but I saw others that I also liked.
Upgrading the headlights for the "angel eyes"
Need to replace the front bumper. The edge line on the bumper's driver's side isn't lined up like the passenger side, so I looked and it looks as though the front bumper got barely hit, but someone tried to paint it. You can't tell unless really looking for it like I did. I'm thinking about replacing it with an AMG bumper.
I want to upgrade the hood for one with some vents.
Replace the rims. (current rims are the R170 AMG rims). When I'm ready to make this upgrade, I'll post these rims in case anyone is looking to get their hands on these.
I'll also end up having the seats and doors reupholstered to a brown leather.
I have some of the interior paint on the columns that have come off. I've read some posts about people trying to repaint them, but I have the dark grey interior, and everyone has found that the paint they sell doesn't match up. I might just replace them.
I've considered mods to the engine, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm not looking to sacrifice the integrity or reliability of the engine for this.

That's about it for now. Let me know if you guys have any advice or experience in these things. I'm sure you all do and will share!

If I need to move any of these discussions to a different thread, please let me know.

Btw, I've looked all over on Youtube on replacing the check valve and shutoff valve for the secondary induction system, but haven't found a single video covering removal and installation. I did find a thread on here showing photos, which was good, but if you guys want, I'll do a video of it and post it, so there will be that source for others. If www.slkworld.com does any videos and would like to have it to edit and post on Youtube, I'll be more than happy to send it to them and they can utilize it. I was a mechanic for years, and have been a photographer and videographer, so I should be able to pull up something good. Let me know what you guys think.

Good to meet you all! :)

#21 ·
. . . . .
If I need to move any of these discussions to a different thread, please let me know.
. . . . .
There's no need to move any of the above out to another thread, although if you want to grab people's attention, and get responses to questions on a specific issue, then it might be better to post a fresh thread for those (such as the P0401 code)...

. . . . .
Btw, I've looked all over on Youtube on replacing the check valve and shutoff valve for the secondary induction system, but haven't found a single video covering removal and installation. I did find a thread on here showing photos, which was good, but if you guys want, I'll do a video of it and post it, so there will be that source for others. If www.slkworld.com does any videos and would like to have it to edit and post on Youtube, I'll be more than happy to send it to them and they can utilize it. I was a mechanic for years, and have been a photographer and videographer, so I should be able to pull up something good. Let me know what you guys think.
"SLKWorld" doesn't "do" our own videos, but it would be great if you could share your experiences of DIY work you do with others here by posting your own videos on a site like YouTube, and then sharing the link to them in an appropriate thread on the forum here somewhere. Thanks! :tu:

#23 ·
Yesterday I was at the bank on my lunch and when I came back out to my car, someone had left a www.slkworld.com business card on my driver side window. That just confirmed I had to join here! I want to give props to whoever left that card on my car and if you're reading this and it's you, please introduce yourself! I have a list of plans I have in store for this car and want to have some good guys to go through it with. Hopefully some guys with a lot of knowledge about these cars and what to look for. Happy to be here guys!
Now YOU need business cards,

http://www.slkworld.com/mb-events/128690-slkworld-business-cards-2.html

PM me your address and I'll send you a dozen!

#24 · (Edited)
Welcome from southern California. Glad to have you on board.

#25 ·
Here's an update on my P0401 code:

I got my check valve and shutoff valve from the dealership this week. Two nights ago I decided to install my new parts, so I started removing the old ones. I didn't have the 27mm crows foot wrench I needed to remove the check valve and thought I could get away with using something else instead. I read that another person was able to use a crescent wrench to remove it, but I didn't have the same success. I tried using a basin wrench on the top of the check valve, but that only almost tore off the top of the check valve. I soaked the check valve with rust away, but it didn't help much. So then I finally went online and ordered the 27mm crows foot wrench I needed and had it over nighted to me. The wrench cost about $5.50 through Summit Racing, but the expedited shipping cost another $25. Nobody local had it for sale. The closest they had was up to 22mm.

Once I got the 27mm crows foot wrench it took about 5 minutes to get the check valve out and another 10 minutes to install the new parts. Along with replacing the parts, I replaced all clamps involved in the process and checked hoses. Then I started the engine and as expected there was smoke coming out the exhaust and the engine bay smoked a bit at first burning out the rust away I'd applied before. I then pulled it out on the road to see if it was now out of limp mode and if the supercharger was kicking in. I came to the stop light and when it turned green, I gave it about half throttle. It flat out moved! Gears were shifting correctly again and the supercharger was once again like a rabid dog chasing a bone! lol

In the end I came out successful, but when not having the 27mm crows foot wrench, it was a thorn in my side! I highly recommend having a full set of those crows foot wrenches in your tool box just in case! I'll be buying the full set here very soon. They run about $100.

I know these are specific to year, make, and model, but if anyone needs part numbers for the check valve and shutoff valve, I have them and will post them if wanted. I started out making a Youtube video for this, but when everything went to ****, I scrapped the video... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.