Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello,
I have a 1999 slk230 170 and would like to prevent serious wiring damage. I have looked and there is oil below the "magnet". I do not believe that 1999 170 it was included in the recall (or was it?). There are xlnt pix and descriptions on this page regarding replacing solenoid, and protecting wiring, but for me there are still some "gaps.
1) if I do the repair, am I likely to trigger a warning light that needs to be reset? (on a previous post I asked for recommendations for a low cost reader/scanner for a "99 230. Many will not work on a '99. Still need answer).
2) From my readings, it appears that the problem is the o-ring in the solenoid. Is it possible to buy the O-ring instead of a new solenoid? (big $ difference) ,
3) "Tinning"the wiring must mean soldering. Is there an alternative "fix"? I do not think I can handle the soldering.

Thanks very much, stubabe

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,205 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,054 Posts
@stubabe

I wonder if you mean the cam position sensor wiring? If this is the case there was a loom adapter you could buy to plug in line that contained 'tinned wires' that stopped the wicking of the oil. This should be available if you look round enough. More details here perhaps?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
You shouldn't trip any error by removing the wiring, but I'm pretty sure that your connector (being a pre-facelift) is different from the ones on the Mercedes solid cable, so you would need to cut and solder the new wire in place...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello,
yes, the cam solenoid. I put "magneT" in quotes because I did not know the name of the part. Oil is below the approximately 2" diameter round center of the solenoid. what is the name of the connector part?? thanks

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
619 Posts
Cam shaft magnet leak?

Yes can lead to oil getting into the loom, the fix for it is actually not that expensive, it's like €40 here in Ireland for the kit (probably cheaper where you are), I got an Mb dealer to do it for my and they charged me 2 hours labour to fit.

Mines a 2001 r170 (facelift)

Hope this helps,

all the best.

RLander.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE solenoid,
thanks for your time and efforts to help me. I found a picture of part 271 150 27 33 and opened my engine cover. My harness part has only one plug., and I believe the above part may be for a slightly later version than my "99 230, engine #111 .973. Also suggested was buying the above part cutting off the "downside" plug and splicing (soldering} the wires; this I could handle, but someone else has written that the plug to the solenoid is different on the 111.973. So, has anyone replaced the harness on the 170 with the 1l1.973?
In inspecting my existing connection, it is possible a previous owner has had some work done as the wiring is covered with what looks like black electrical tape.
also does anyone have a part number for the o-ring in the solenoid? I may replace it (or the solenoid) and not not touch the wiring.
thanks very much. stubabe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.