Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Only 81,500 miles! Sunburst Yellow with 5sp manual trans. Loaded with every option available at the time (auto dim interior and driver side mirror, heated seats, heated headlight and windshield washers (winter package), anti-theft alarm, anti-tow alarm, traction control, fabric wind blocker, front and rear fog lights, and dual zone climate control. Ice cold A/C and a heater that will make you sweat! The 5sp manual mated to the 2.3 litre supercharged engine provides a grin from ear to ear. No need to downshift to pass on the highway... just let the supercharger do its job. Highly addictive acceleration! They nearly flawless Sunburst Yellow paint adds even more fun and enjoyment. It's a car you'll love being seen in. It's as new as an 18 year old car can be. Low mileage and diligent owners have kept this car in top shape. In the past 2 years, I've freshened the car by replacing the clutch, all 4 shocks (Bilstien), fuel pump and filter, tires, various interior parts, clutch slave and master cylinders, and much more. I've added the SmartTop module that automates and provides remote control of the roof closing and opening. Roof is water tight and all weatherstripping is perfect. Weatherstripping is frequently treated to preserve it and prevent interior squeaks. Headlights are pristine with no signs of cloudiness. I have the original radio, but have replaced it with a high end Kenwood radio with dual USB connections, HD Radio, Pandora and iHeartRadio capabilites, bluetooth phone, bluetooth streaming and iPhone/iPod control. One USB connection is in the glovebox. Usual SLK issues have been addressed, which are mostly interior issues. The door panel glue fails over time, so they were disassembled and glued properly. "Paint" on interior panels wears off over time. I have touched up worn areas with factory color paint and have replaced some panels that were most worn and visible. Paint is glossy and leather shows very little wear despite the age. The car has been kept completely stock, except for radio (which can be easily swapped for original radio). If you are mechanically inclined, it's one of the easiest cars to work on yourself. Everything is accessible... you could even replace the supercharger or convertible hydraulic pump yourself, even if you have little skills. Lots of YouTube videos on how to repair and maintain these cars. The trunk is huge when the roof isn't in it! :) Still lots of storage when the roof is down. Everything works properly and it needs NOTHING... it is truly ready to hit the road! Clean title. Price is more than fair for so much car, and is firm. There is a very active SLK Enthusiasts club in the Sacramento area that provides monthly fun drives on great roads to great destinations. Due to an arm injury, I had to purchase an SLK with an automatic transmission, so someone else will get to enjoy this extremely rare Mercedes manual! Hate to see it go! email me for more information or pictures.

A few more items to add to the "useful information" column... I replaced the rear motor/transmission mount and found the existing one to be in pristine condition. The front motor mounts look to be in good shape, so I am assuming they were all changed by the previous owner. I had also ordered the front flex disk, but front and rear flex disks appear to be in perfect shape as well. There is some vibration at times at highway speeds, so I am going to have the tires balanced to take care of this since everything else is in good working order. I realized I never replaced the spark plugs or air filter, so those items are on order. I have no idea when the plugs were changed, so I feel it won't hurt to replace them regardless. The tires were replaced mid 2017, so they are very new. I went with a performance tire that had higher tread life and better ride. The car still sticks to the road and corners well, but the previous set seemed to have less tire "squirm" under hard cornering. My preference was a balance of performance and ride comfort. I also went with the OEM equivalent Bilstein B6 shocks... again I sided with a balance of performance and ride comfort. But the shocks are super easy to replace if you want an easy performance upgrade, along with a good set of high-performance Michelins or Pirellis. The blinker stalk was loose in the column, so I removed the wheel and tightened the 3 screws with some added Loctite. The windshield washer tank was cracked and leaking, so it was removed, securely patched, and cleaned thoroughly. New drive belts were installed about a year ago. The car passed the CA smog test this past year without issue. I even found and fixed an odd issue with the supercharger intake in the airbox... there is an elbow shaped rubber tube inside the airbox that feeds air to the supercharger when it engages... I found this tube to be collapsed on one end! I re-formed the rubber with the help of some hot water and lots of patience and instantly the car had much more get-up-and-go! The poor car may have spent its entire life being starved for air! (This might be worth checking on your own R170) I've truly enjoyed this car and hope one of you will as well!

please contact me via e-mail: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,169 Posts
In no particular order
1. For sale threads are not editable by the poster. If you need a change made, please contact a
moderator.
2, Thread should include price, pictures, contact info like email address. Try to not post a phone
number. If you have less than 15 posts, you won't be able to reply by pm as newbies won't be able
to pm the seller either since they also probably have less than the required 15 posts to do so.
3. Why are threads uneditable? In case of a dispute, the seller cannot go back and say something
was X when it was Y, because the seller changed it in his favor

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As stated above, the air filter and spark plugs have been replaced. The spark plugs can be a window into the health of the engine and, as expected, all 4 show very normal and even wear. I'd say they have been replaced at least once before, but it does seem to idle a bit smoother than before. I did use OEM plugs, so there should be no surprises with how they perform. The air filter did need replacing, but wasn't overly dirty.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,166 Posts
I have been told this has been sold last weekend via a text message from the owner Bill Kraft. Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.