Mercedes SLK World banner

SoCal members: Which overnight destination would you prefer?

• Santa Barbara (Post #5)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Death Valley (Post #7)

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello SoCal,
Our last trip to Sam Simeon/Monterey was so much fun that some are already proposing the next overnight trip. This is a thread to get the conversation started.

The leading propositions are:
  1. Destination: Santa Barbara, Fun Roads: Highway 33, Lockwood Valley, etc.
  2. Destination: Death Valley, Fun Roads: Some that don't induce death?:biglaugh:
The suggestion is that this be a Saturday overnight only to include more members. I propose November 19-20 (before Thanksgiving).

We are in the planning stage and open to all suggestions/recommendations if you are interested.

Update: Added a poll for the possible destinations.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Wow, you don't waste any time. I will look into the Death Valley option. November would be the perfect time of year for it. I will propose something soon and you guys can say yay or nay. I'm thinking definitely Scotty's castle, the sand dunes and the big crater. It's a National Park, but it's surprisingly quiet in the winter months (even though that's the best time to visit).

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
November 19-20 is fine with me. I haven't been to Death Valley and therefore not familiar with the roads or where to stay overnight. I even get lost within Orange County :biglaugh:

Tentative attendees:

1. ponia003
2. Durkatlon
3. etyu

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into the Death Valley option. November would be the perfect time of year for it. I will propose something soon and you guys can say yay or nay.
It seems that Death Valley and Santa Barbara are the leading 2 options. Here is a potential schedule for SB to compare to Durk's Death Valley plan. Yes, it is a very slow day at work.

Possible SB Schedule:
11/19 8:00 am - Leave OC

11/19 10:00 am - Arrive at Route 33 and start the scenic drive (~4 hours depending on the exact route)

11/19 2:00-3:00 pm - Arrive at the hotel and spend the afternoon hanging out at the beach:
The Inn At East Beach
1029 ORILLA DEL MAR Santa Barbara, CA 93103
The hotel is ~$200 per night and is walking distance to the beach, free breakfast, etc. It is actually run by the same company as the Morgan, so it can't be that bad.

11/20 Morning - Some activity in SB. The hotel offers a package deal that includes up to 3 tickets to the SB zoo. Also lots of old buildings, etc. to see.

11/20 Afternoon - have lunch and head home.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think I can make this. I'm moving (from Irvine to Lake Forest) on the weekend of Nov 12th-13th so I think I could probably make this.

Put me tentative for now. I'm more interested in Death Valley but wouldn't be against SB.

Tentative attendees:

1. ponia003
2. Durkatlon
3. etyu
4. slkluv

·
4,935 Posts
EDIT: Oh, in the time it took me to put this together, Dan posted a different Death Valley plan which is almost the reverse of mine. I still think I prefer this one from a "flow" standpoint and not driving the same roads multiple times.

-- my original post --

Alright, I'll play :D.

DEATH VALLEY PLAN

(See Picture 1)
11/19 - 8:00AM - Leave OC Waypoint (Pic1-A)
11/19 - 12:30AM - Lunch in Lone Pine (Pic1-B, restaurant tbd)

(See Picture 2)
11/19 - Afternoon, go into the park, see Stovepipe Wells sanddunes, the Ubehebe Crater (Pic2-B), and do tour of Scotty's Castle (Pic2-C, Eddy will like this one!)
11/19 - Late afternoon/Evening, drive to Beatty, NV for motel stay. Tons of places to choose from here. This place is one large motel, kinda like San Simeon.

(See Picture 3)
11/20 - Drive from Beatty back into the park, see Rhyolite Ghost Town (possibly), see Zabriski Pt (Pic3-B), do Artists Drive, check out Badwater.
11/20 - Eventually leave park, hit the 15 at Baker (Pic3-C), have dinner at The Mad Greek.
11/20 - After dinner, gas up and drive home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EDIT: Oh, in the time it took me to put this together, Dan posted a different Death Valley plan which is almost the reverse of mine. I still think I prefer this one from a "flow" standpoint and not driving the same roads multiple times.
Fair enough, we'll use your plan. :tu:

·
4,935 Posts
Fair enough, we'll use your plan. :tu:
Awright, you didn't have to delete yours though. Well, if we're really going to do this we should probably make a new post or amend the thread opener to have the real finalized plans in it.

To help firm it up, I picked the Death Valley Inn motel in Beatty (http://www.deathvalleyinnmotel.com/). It's $63 per night for the weekend we'd be there. I've stayed there before and it is clean and freshly renovated less than 2 years ago (in fact they were putting the finishing touches when I was there last time).

The thing to watch out for in Beatty is the "Beatty Days" which is a huge motorcycle meet. When this is going on the entire town is booked solid. I checked though and this year it's the weekend of October 28th, so we'll be avoiding that.

Here's some food options in Lone Pine.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I voted for Death Valley as it is all new to me (and mate). Let me know when to make reservations when this is firmed up, hopefully by next week. Great plans Durk and Dan :tu: Mate is asking on how "twisty" the roads are.

Paul has a good point to consider: weather-wise, the desert area is better this time of year as opposed to the coastal area. We can consider Santa Barbara mid-spring when snow is not a consideration for route 33.

Reactions: ponia003

·
4,935 Posts
I voted for Death Valley as it is all new to me (and mate). Let me know when to make reservations when this is firmed up, hopefully by next week. Great plans Durk and Dan :tu: Mate is asking on how "twisty" the roads are.
Yeah, same reason I like doing the desert next month as well. Plus, we were just in SB. Regarding twistiness. There is a short stretch of twisties in the Panamint area (between Lone Pine and the Death Valley floor), and some more when you leave Scotty's Castle to head to Beatty. The Artist Drive is very twisty and hilly, but we'll take it at such low speed it won't be an issue (there's too much to see to do it high-speed, plus people stop everywhere on that road). I wouldn't worry about car sickness this time, it's not going to be an issue.

Yelp gives Seasons Restaurant 4.50 stars.
Sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: Durkatlon
1 - 12 of 12 Posts