Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a previous thread on meeting today is 3 pages long. I thought I'd just start a new thread (hope you guys don't mind).

There were 7+1 SLK's (one SLK in Crossfire clothing) that met this morning and lasted until a bit after 3 pm.

It was great to meet prior members and to welcome Bleen (Pablo) to the meet. Those present were (in order of waypoint) were: Davids88keys, Slkluv, etyu (waypoint 1) cyberdrakon, Caywoman and Bleen (waypoint 2) Tpman, LynxFx, Tslick (waypoint3).

We had 3 runs, each getting more technical than the previous one. It was a major "kick in the pants" (as V8SLK would say). The first run was a warm up run before late breakfast. The second run (after breakfast) was quite exhilarating, as I managed to make one front tire squeek with a hard 90 degree or greater turn (should've slowed down by 1 mph). Tires shouldn't squeek on a good run (as Byron or RacerCub may comment). The third run was a bit scary as I managed to drift the rear while making a hard left turn but quickly recovered (wish David had a video running). David states it may have been the loose sand/gravel on the road. Public works people should clean the streets more often.

There were police present and one turned to follow us but a nice blue Crossfire (many thanks Tom) sort of blocked his movement by going the speed limit while the first seven did their thing oblivious of what was happening at the rear.

I would say the 3 runs today were excellent . Great company, good food and a superb run. I will be sleeping well tonight :D

Below are some photos taken from today's meet.

Meeting at Waypoint 2 at 9am by Peet's Cofee and Tea in Pasadena:

Chatting at Waypoint 3 at 10:20 am (my apologies to Tslick, Tpman and LynxFx); we were a bit late, got carried away at chatting at Waypoint 2 and didn't leave until 9:45. I expect to be able to call Tslick on his mobile phone number for the next meet to let him know we were running 15 minutes late :biglaugh:

Some pictures outside the Rock Store before a late breakfast (at least there was some room for parking; there weren't too many bikers):

Pathfinder's (aka Tslick) ride is actually an SLK in Crossfire clothing:

Bikers checking out the SLicK cages:

Late breakfast (yummy):

A. French toast with bacon, powdered sugar and whipped butter

B. I guess you can call this a traditional breakfast:

C. Vegetarian Omelet (doesn't mean it's low fat):

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Zundapp motorcycles (with side cars) from World War II. They have heavy-duty rear axles that will also power the rear wheel of the side car. One of them has a cool mount for MG (machine gun)

Some photos at a brief rest between the second and 3rd run on PCH (weather was cool and nice with some sun, although one Canadian found it a bit too chilly; he's been in SoCal too long :biglaugh:)

Can anyone see David's hair-do in the following photo? (hint: at the passenger side outside rear view mirror housing)

Some mood photos:

Photo of sand and sea :

Photos at the end of the third run before heading home with a big smile. Guess what Tom was trying to say? (hint: "I had to slow down to a freaking 35 mph to slow the patrol car.....")

Thank you everyone for a very nice meet, eat and drive.

Kandy, you should do well on your finals :) (We expect nothing less than an A :biglaugh:)

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing.
Looks like great fun.
SLKman:tu:
I believe everyone enjoyed the "intense twisties" especially in the last 2 runs. The last one was a one-way road (thanks to LynxFx aka Jason) but I didn't know you were supposed to ignore the STOP signs (there were 3 at different bends).

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you guys had fun. Hopefully I can make it out next time. Oh well, more PiCZ pLz!
You would have enjoyed the many twists and turns on the 3 runs. IIRC, there were no videos taken.

Perhaps the others will post more photos.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Thanks for sharing and posting up the pics! Cyberdrakon you need to get a rear valance! I know a guy who can do that! What's up with all the coats? It's Southern Cali after all, I didn't think it ever got cold!

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing and posting up the pics! Cyberdrakon you need to get a rear valance! I know a guy who can do that! What's up with all the coats? It's Southern Cali after all, I didn't think it ever got cold!
The coats are a deception to make everyone think it is really cold in SoCal :biglaugh: It was in the low 50's until around lunch time and early afternoon. Notice some are just wearing T-shirts at the end of the 3rd run, and I don't think it was weather-related.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Great seeing everyone again and meeting Pablo.

Had lots of fun guys, look forward to the next SLK meet... did I hear drive to Vegas and then to Utah for snowboarding? :p

Video would have been nice, some of those twisties were pretty intense - I also had my back end thrown into the other lane on 1 such turn.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
LOL...looks like i'm the only one who made it inside the lines...and my car's the widest! Thanks for the run and the links guys! AWESOME!

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL...looks like i'm the only one who made it inside the lines...and my car's the widest! Thanks for the run and the links guys! AWESOME!
I saw the photographer as Tom was making the left turn so I turned a bit harder to be closer to the camera :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Rats, I had my window up, so am all Stealthy like. :D

Love this pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/4162402582/
This one is even better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/4161612367/
Is he holding a shotgun? lol

Great drive guys and I'm glad it was free of any 'incidents'. I need to go through my photos but I think the ones posted so far are probably better. Next time we will definitely need a video camera. Could probably shoot some cool stuff.

Nice panorama Drakon!

Found an SLR. http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/4148331621/

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing! :)

As I said before, it was a wonderful run and I'm looking forward to the next one! Hopefully by then I'll have my stuff fixed ;-)

·
19,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 25 Posts