Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing a few pictures of this afternoon's mini-modding-meet between myself, Eddy ("etyu") and Omo ("rocketace2012") at my place.

After we installed my chrome SPYDERs on Omo's car a few weeks ago, there were some lingering fitment issues. We took care of those today. Quite a bit of nice DIY work: removing front bumper, remove and re-install headlights, remove wheel, fender-liner, bottom panel. We all learned a lot!

Afterwards we went on a quick run through the San Diego backcountry, hitting some of the good twisties. I got lost 3 times in the San Diego Country Estates area where I still don't know how to properly navigate from one end out the other end. Some day I will make it look like I actually know what I'm doing.

Omo shot a ton of handheld cell-phone video, so we'll see if any of that came out post-worthy :D.

Some pics taken at the end of the run near 78 in Escondido.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Now that looks like fun !

Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm..

Can I join you guys next time? Would love to learn how to take apart the bumper cover on my SLK350. That thing is all mess up from the roads in San Diego.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Man, I'm local and didn't get invite !!!
Can I join you guys next time? Would love to learn how to take apart the bumper cover on my SLK350. That thing is all mess up from the roads in San Diego.
PM Durk that you'd like to be on the list when he does the mod for fellow members :D

It was a great learning experience but I forgot some of the procedures already on removing the front bumper.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, I'm local and didn't get invite !!!
Heh sorry man, I promised Eddy earlier to invite him when we were taking Omo's bumper back off for the headlight adjustments. Sounds like there's another chance because of this new guy right below this:

You are quite welcome to come by any time. Just PM me and we'll set it up. I'll invite Klinh as well! :D. Now mind you I can take your bumper off easily enough, but I've never tackled the process of fixing one, so that'll be new to both of us. Not sure how long this epoxy stuff needs to dry, but I don't think you'd want to put the bumper back on right away. By the way, you're quite the power-lurker, being on the forum for 6 years with a mere 3 posts! :D

It was a great learning experience but I forgot some of the procedures already on removing the front bumper.
I think the main thing we learned is that you should hook up the fog lights during re-assembly when you have a chance, and not think there'll be a better opportunity later on. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
You are quite welcome to come by any time. Just PM me and we'll set it up. I'll invite Klinh as well! :D. Now mind you I can take your bumper off easily enough, but I've never tackled the process of fixing one, so that'll be new to both of us. Not sure how long this epoxy stuff needs to dry, but I don't think you'd want to put the bumper back on right away. By the way, you're quite the power-lurker, being on the forum for 6 years with a mere 3 posts! :D
Send me a PM as I plan to take step-by-step photos on bumper removal, showing which bolts and screws to remove and what size wrench/tool to use, etc.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,397 Posts
Mini-meet videos

OK, try to understand how difficult it was for me to hold my iPhone, video tape, and try to keep up with Eddy and Durk on a 30-minute romp through the back roads driving like maniacs :biglaugh: ehm... I mean, having so much fun... So I hope you understand why some of the videos in the links below are shaky at times, and not that great. But at least you can get a glimpse of the fun we had this past Sunday... and YES to more of you out there joining the fun next time. I didn't mind been lost in the back roads, that was part of the fun... we sure found our way out.

One highlight for me was when we were at a 4-way stop light with two traffic cops directing traffic. As we were signaled to make the left turn, one of the cops turned to the other and exclaimed... "wow, there are 3 of them" - referring to the 3 of us. I overheard this cos I was behind the others... Tells you even the cops pay that kinda attention to top-down SLKers :biglaugh: Pls note that I had many more videos, but these ones are just a tip of the iceberg... Let me know if you want me to post the rest.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice vids. Too bad you don't have footage of Old Julian Highway. I reckon it would've been impossible to hold the phone during that stretch without crashing. :D :burnout:

EDIT: Here's a little map of the run for future reference:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,397 Posts
Nice vids. Too bad you don't have footage of Old Julian Highway. I reckon it would've been impossible to hold the phone during that stretch without crashing. :D :burnout:
Indeed!!! that stretch of driving required my 2 hands on the wheels... that stretch of roads was when the cars were doing ... ehm... cough cough... let's just say we were driving real fast :tu: and I had to give up taping to drive and enjoy it as much as you two ahead of me...

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Your 'back country' roads look like our main roads :) Imagine doing speeds in excess of ***mph on single track mountain roads - you'all will have to come on a sheep chase :burnout:

·
Registered
500 Posts
. Not sure how long this epoxy stuff needs to dry, but I don't think you'd want to put the bumper back on right away.. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Get the 5 mins set epoxy. That's what I used to re-enforced the carbon fiber front lip on my Clk and Slk rear diffuser. After about 1 hrs, it hard as rock.

·
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get the 5 mins set epoxy. That's what I used to re-enforced the carbon fiber front lip on my Clk and Slk rear diffuser. After about 1 hrs, it hard as rock.
This is why we need you there next time!! I hope we can coordinate a good day between all of us. Should be fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts