Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....a 19yr old girl in a ford taurus smashing into your brand new slk at a wal-mart parking lot.

I hope it will look the same as before when it gets repaired. :(

The damage is worse than it looks on there, cuz the light needs to be replaced. I'm getting it repaired by the mercedes bodyshop so, I'm assuming they will do a good job. Some friend of mine scared me and told me that it'll never be the same quality as it was from the manufacturer....the thought of that really bugs me to no end.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Chad, sorry to hear about the damage - hopefully her insurance will get you back up and running as new.

In general, as long as there's no damage to the frame, you should be able to be fixed just like new. Insist on replacement panels, not repaired!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
OUCH! Sorry to hear it, but hopefully it'll be good as new soon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's the "paint job" that I'm told can't equal the manufactuers paint job because of all the "processes" and the "clear coat"...at least, that's what I hear from some friend of mine.

The front side fender and the front bottom part will all be replaced and then repainted...I definitely won't just get them repaired. The autobody guy told me I won't be able to tell, so I'm bankin' on that. :p

·
Registered
533 Posts
chadwick: in terms of repairs that damage will be in your mind for a long time even after its repaired but they're so good nowadays with matching up colours and computers that it'll look like new.

I mean i dont know if you've seen the documentary on Ultimate Factories: Ferrari... I've even seen Ferrari's which go through lengthy and technical manufacturing and painting processes look like new.

So try and not to worry. Even although it'll bug you for some time. Its all in the mind from here on out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chadwick: in terms of repairs that damage will be in your mind for a long time even after its repaired but they're so good nowadays with matching up colours and computers that it'll look like new.

I mean i dont know if you've seen the documentary on Ultimate Factories: Ferrari... I've even seen Ferrari's which go through lengthy and technical manufacturing and painting processes look like new.

So try and not to worry. Even although it'll bug you for some time. Its all in the mind from here on out.
Thanks! That makes me feel a loooot better! And I do have to remember it's only the bottom half of the front and the front-side fender that has to be replaced with a little touchup on the front corner of the door ('cause the frame got pushed against the door).

I'm also told that the bodyshop that will be repairing mine is the best and they are very good.

D

·
0 Posts
Ditto on the frame comment, provided the chassis leg has not been bent and its not totally possible to tell from that picture but the ding does not really look deep enough then they will replace the panels and she will be good to go, they should check the suspension and tracking are perfect also because of where it was hit.

What they should now do is spray not only the damaged areas but a large amount of the car around them to ensure that you get a good blend, they might not use MB's nano clearcoat but thats nothing for you to worry about.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:mad:Sorry to see and hear about the damage to your new SLK. Good luck with the repairs. Keep us informed with the results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditto on the frame comment, provided the chassis leg has not been bent and its not totally possible to tell from that picture but the ding does not really look deep enough then they will replace the panels and she will be good to go, they should check the suspension and tracking are perfect also because of where it was hit.

What they should now do is spray not only the damaged areas but a large amount of the car around them to ensure that you get a good blend, they might not use MB's nano clearcoat but thats nothing for you to worry about.
Yikes they better replace that front side panel, because there's no way they are going to make that thing perfect again with all the bending and stuff. I guess I should call and find out.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't think you quite read my post right.

I fully expect them to replace the damaged panels but i expect them to spray much more than the damaged area, i don't mean actually re-spray the damaged panels themselves but the replacements for the damaged panels plus the original panels around the damaged area.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Sorry to read about the unfortunate incident. Talk to the body shop and find out what paint they use. IIRC, PPG was one of the paint manufacturers approved for MB vehicles w/the nanotech paint. Paint matching is quite good these days (I think they use the color wavelength now to match the color wavelength of your car's OEM paint, if I'm not mistaken). Make sure the hood is well aligned also during the repairs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think you quite read my post right.

I fully expect them to replace the damaged panels but i expect them to spray much more than the damaged area, i don't mean actually re-spray the damaged panels themselves but the replacements for the damaged panels plus the original panels around the damaged area.
oh nevermind I did totally misread what you said. :p

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I am truly sad to hear about this, it was just a few days ago that you've posted pictures of your new beauty. Its terribly sad to see this and experience it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ask for a guarantee on the job, After some time, Prep/ Sanding marks may appear.
The paint may dry to a different color/ or dull after a few months, Or blemishes/ Marks may appear.
Also do not use wax/ polishing products for at least a month.
Just the normal soap and water is fine for washing.

Just how I would handle it

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I never take the SLK to a crowded parking lot - I take my truck.
Sorry to hear about your ride, make sure you don't get those Korean made panels and ask for ONLY OEM panels.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.