Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my 55 with it's lovely new KW v3 suspension to Snetterton motor circuit for a trackday. Weather was cold, but mostly dry. Car was really good fun! It handles quite well in the corners, but the auto box initially left me floundering. The up changes were fine, but the slight delay in down shifting took me a while to master. It can be done, you just need a few laps to decide which gear you need for each corner, and then be ready to select it a little bit before you will actually need it! I normally drive my e46 bmw m3 on track, which is far, far from stock so the SLK was a little bit of a culture shock. The torque out of the corners though was streets ahead of my m3! A pal of mine was there with his brand new f80 m3 manual and the two cars were very well matched indeed, and I hounded him for a few laps before he indicated over and let me lead. Although I couldn't shake him off he was surprised how the older car held it's own! My brake pedal got a little long but the brakes continued to haul the car down without drama on stock pads and continental road tyres. Superb day out, and very pleased with the baby merc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try a lap in full auto?

What did you hit on the Bentley straight?
Tried full auto. It was ghastly!

Didn't look at the speedo down Bentley, as I was worrying about the braking point! Over 130, approaching 140 down the start/finish straight. The speedo in the 55 isn't easy to keep an eye on round a technical track like Snett 300

1 - 3 of 3 Posts