Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Going to need more details...

You're getting smoke in the cockpit, or just under the hood? What does it smell like?
Has the car been serviced recently (coolant, windshield washer fluid).
With the NE weather of late, did you go through a really nasty puddle?

Unlikely it has anything to do with your battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smoke just under the hood when the ac is on accompanied with a disturbing sound. No recent maintenance except for the new battery. I cant tell what it specifically smelled like. No pot holes. Weather has been very warm the last 2 days.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Sounds like something has gotten on the serpentine to the AC...is it a squealing noise? If so try to clean the belt off with some dilute water/soap (ie dish washing liquid).

·
Registered
350 Posts
smoke

if the smell only occurs when a/c is turned on then the problem is that the a/c pump is very hard to turn or stuck.
when a/c is off the pulley still spins but doesn't engage the pump.
turning it on, i believe engages a magnetic clutch in the pulley and therefore turns (or tries to ) the pump.
the noise is the belt sliding on the pulley instead of freely turning with it. same as the smoke is due to the friction of belt sliding along pulley.

another possibility is the belt and/or the tensioner are faulty. allowing the belt to slide instead of gripping when extra load of a/c pump is engaged.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if the smell only occurs when a/c is turned on then the problem is that the a/c pump is very hard to turn or stuck.
when a/c is off the pulley still spins but doesn't engage the pump.
turning it on, i believe engages a magnetic clutch in the pulley and therefore turns (or tries to ) the pump.
the noise is the belt sliding on the pulley instead of freely turning with it. same as the smoke is due to the friction of belt sliding along pulley.

another possibility is the belt and/or the tensioner are faulty. allowing the belt to slide instead of gripping when extra load of a/c pump is engaged.
that sounds like the answer

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You everybody.

I'm going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow. He doesn't work on weekends and these problems always happen to me either on friday or saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.