Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relevant to UK cars - hope this is in the right place.

Some vehicles, such as Jaguar XFs and going a bit older Rover 75s can have what are referred to as smiley number plates. These are not the normal oblong plates but ones shaped to fit the indentation in the boot pressing for the number plate. Below is an example of a 'smiley' plate on a Rover 75.

The R171 has an indentation that would suit a smiley plate - has anyone had one made?
DSC00335.JPG

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,166 Posts
Well, has anyone? I think we should know (y)

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,154 Posts
Reactions: Squishband

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
30 Posts
it would seem to me you could make one from a nice piece of plastic and numbers. If you wanted to go fancy a piece of plexiglass could have the numbers laser engraved and filled in with paint or a black filler and the backside sprayed yellow. Is it legal to roll your own plate? I recall UK cars with the numbers painted on, butbthat was from years ago. Also, don't you use an EU standard plate as well now?

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little mock up showing standard oblong plate and a plate from a Jaguar XF that nearly fits.

As for making plates oneself to comply with the law plates have to be made by an authorised company, show the relevant BS number and the post code of the company that made them.

20201016_163218.jpg

20201016_163132.jpg

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,877 Posts
I used to have a number plate business many years ago.
I owned a P6 Rover which had a similar oversized rear plate. At that time nobody made them. Also the front plate was larger.
I found a local plate manufacturer who would make custom plates to my spec. The business was very successful and I sold a lot of special sized number plates.
If you want a full rear custom plate just check out your local plate manufacturer and I’m sure they will be happy to fulfill your order.
TonyS

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,101 Posts
In my own opinion just Dont do it it looks B Awful !
while Many rather have a number plate gone [ or smaller ] to show off the look of an SLK your making yours bigger ?

Just look at Rovers design ethic they went under ........

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my own opinion just Dont do it it looks B Awful !
while Many rather have a number plate gone [ or smaller ] to show off the look of an SLK your making yours bigger ?

Just look at Rovers design ethic they went under ........
Well, the opinion in our house is that it improves the look - the depression with an oblong plate looks wrong.

As for Rover going under, nothing to do with the design but BMW not really supporting it and then the mob that took over mismanagng the company. There were some exciting things going on behind thescene with very little money for them. The directors preferred to put shed loads of money in to the MG SV. To quote from the Wiki article on the model:

'The decision to develop a niche sports car, rather than work on replacements for its core family cars, has been described as symptomatic of the strategic mistakes, that ultimately led to MG Rover’s untimely demise.[6] By the time that the company entered administration in April 2005, only nine XPower SV’s had been sold '

82 cars built and the directors had their fair share.

The Wiki article:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,101 Posts
Well, the opinion in our house is that it improves the look - the depression with an oblong plate looks wrong.

As for Rover going under, nothing to do with the design but BMW not really supporting it and then the mob that took over mismanagng the company. There were some exciting things going on behind thescene with very little money for them. The directors preferred to put shed loads of money in to the MG SV. To quote from the Wiki article on the model:

'The decision to develop a niche sports car, rather than work on replacements for its core family cars, has been described as symptomatic of the strategic mistakes, that ultimately led to MG Rover’s untimely demise.[6] By the time that the company entered administration in April 2005, only nine XPower SV’s had been sold '

82 cars built and the directors had their fair share.

The Wiki article:

In Sixteen Years since the171 model has been out i think there has been no one who has modded there 171 with a huge rear number plate like the Rover models .
Mods can confirm this .......

most here minimise there plates or hide them as such
That should tell you something
but its your car do as you wish .

why dont you do a poll and id wager most would not like it .
but its your car . 👍

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
15,154 Posts
Reactions: Delucas

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,581 Posts
From a purely practical angle, a large plate simply increases the area for crud to collect and potentially seed corrosion.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,842 Posts
I dunno......I quite like the look of the mock-up. I think if it fitted the lines of the recess better (not being funny as I know it was only a mock up) then i think it would work.

·
Registered 2015 SLK250
30 Posts
OB Rover

Lady was walking a Doxie and I asked her what it‘s name was. She said BMW. I said that was an unusual name. She said it used to be Rover...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts