Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
These do come up, but they hold their value really well so it's pretty much as cheap to just buy a new one from the USA.

Contact the US supplier, MODS4CARS in Nevada (I think Las Vegas). Explain that you are in the UK and they will sometimes adjust the price to take into account the import duty. They are really good. It's much cheaper than trying to buy a UK supplied one. And the UK agent in Milton Keynes used to be shocking for support or customer service.

mods4cars Online Shop

That's $329 plus a bit for shipping so say £250 once you do the conversion to sterling. That's £12 in import duty plus £53 VAT so delivered you're looking at £310-ish. CKS want £350 for a new one so you're still cheaper importing it.

A used one will be £225 so if you can negotiate the price down to $280-ish then you're in the same ballpark but with a new one.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
... or £240.54 inc VAT and free delivery from PPCGB in the UK:
SmartTop Roof Remote Control Module STHFMZ2 (STHFMZ2) | PPCGB

I'm not associated with PPCGB in any way, other than being a satisfied customer. I bought my R171 SmartTop from them, and it was delivered to me the day after I ordered it, and I had no issues. If I had needed technical support, I would have gone to mods4cars directly, as I know the Sarge speaks very highly of their technical support skills and abilities.

Also, check out the link in my signature for the post I made when I installed mine... back then, PPCGB were offering 5% discount if you liked their Facebook page... if they're still doing that, it could bring the price down to less than £230 (brand new, UK-sourced, no extra taxes, duty or delivery charges)! :D

·
93,539 Posts
You must get it! You must get it!
you will regret delaying!

Just got back from a quick trip
stopped at red light with top up
cars all around me with kids picked up from school
here we go! SmartTop time!
phone cameras start a clicking!

·
93,539 Posts
£190 off ebay.co.uk
punarny,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Thanks, a UK firm is selling them new for £190 on ebay.

I am in no hurry !
I think that PPCGB and Design 911 might even be the same company - and if not, I've seen them both listed as official UK distributors of the SmartTop.

... and £190 sounds like a great price to me! :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"PPC GB, £181 I paid after using the Discount Code."

Dave, I dont use facebook, I set up an account years ago, but just didnt see the point in it !
However as a Yorkshireman if I can save a few quid I am up for it !
So I just found ppcgb and liked them - now what ? no email or message has winged its way to me.

With 5% off to get it for £181 it started at £190 - so did you use the code on ebay ?

Can you PM me the code ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, I found the code.
However the full price on the main site is about £240 so 5% off is still more than ebay.

So what I did was bought it on ebay at £190 and included the code in a cheeky message.

I have one on my MX5 so I know how brilliant they are.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Arthur - Russ and I both have the R171, and it looks like that used to be a little cheaper with PPCGB directly, although it looks like their price for it has also gone up to £240 now too. :(

I didn't make a note of the discount code when I got it (I wish I had), but I guess your follow-up post suggests you now have that too anyway. Personally, I think you've managed to get the SmartTop for the R172 at a cracking price at £190, although I wish you luck in trying to get some additional discount off it too, if you can. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave, they didnt allow the discount, well no harm in trying.
I am happy with £190 anyway, I paid more than this for the MX5.

So with the HID lights sorted out next job is reversing sensors, and then the roof controller.

I always blitz a new car when I get it and then leave it alone.

I am still looking for 17" alloys - I like the multispoke ones on yours, I have seen similar 15 spoke ones in 17" for the R172, so jus a matter of time before a set comes up.

Maybe I should advertise my 18" AMG (with new rear tyres) set as a swop plus cash.

Arthur

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Aha! From the Accessories catalogue. It appears the SLC is launching with 14 spoke 18" wheels so they might be more readily available in future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well spotted !
I asked if they would sell two, they wont.
This is the size for winter tyres so I can understand that.

I have spent an hour on ebay and found a set of 5 spokes that are like new with reasonable P Zeros fitted, but I think I will wait and see if any more 15spoke ones come up.

Has anyone used P Zeros ? I am a big fan of Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

The smarttop has arrived.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts