Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having only got the car 2 weeks ago , Ive been looking at what "extras" i could fit . I yesterday got an email from mods4cars about thier SmartTOP roof control. It reads ..

"Today we finished our tests on the new SLC and all works fine."

The model number is:
STHFMZ2 - SmartTOP Roof Top Control for SLK/SLC (R172) Roadster

Our local partners in the UK can be found here:

mods4cars Online Shop

And here is the direct link to our shop in the U.S. with some more details:

mods4cars Online Shop

Really tempted to order this - its a little expoensive if you have it fitted, but the Self install looks straight forward .. If i get one ill let you know how it goes :smile:

Can anybody tell me if they have fitted a Smart top on their SLK, and is it worth it ?

Thanks in advance
DAVE

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Yes, many of us have SmartTops fitted to our SLKs, and we love it!

Here's a little more info about it, as well as links to DIY threads about installing it:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Installation on my R171 SLK was easier than I had thought, and I'm told it's even easier on the R172 (which I expect will be similar to the SLC, as that is still an R172), although I have no personal experience of this.

I bought my SmartTop from PPCGB - see link in my signature for more info about that, including how to get 5% discount from them.

One thing I'd ask though, is what functionality does SmartTop give you that you don't already have on the SLC? I'm sure I've seen in reviews that the roof on the SLC can be operated while moving, and that's the most common feature of SmartTop that I use. I do occasionally use the open/close from a distance with the keyfob too, but I've no idea whether that's already possible on the SLC or not.

Might be worth checking exactly what extra functionality you're getting before purchasing. :tu:

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,613 Posts

One thing I'd ask though, is what functionality does SmartTop give you that you don't already have on the SLC? I'm sure I've seen in reviews that the roof on the SLC can be operated while moving, and that's the most common feature of SmartTop that I use. I do occasionally use the open/close from a distance with the keyfob too, but I've no idea whether that's already possible on the SLC or not.

Might be worth checking exactly what extra functionality you're getting before purchasing. :tu:
Though not a cheap option, I've found My Smartop to be a worth while upgrade for My R171 :tu:

But as per @dbgrn , I mainly use mine while putting the roof up or down at traffic lights, which allows the cycle to finish (Closing the boot & putting quarter windows up) as You start to move off, rather that doing the full blown operation at 29mph......!!!

Though showing people how the roof works, while standing near by is worth $$$$$.... >:D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I fitted my own in both our SLK 55 and CDi250. It's about an hour to do in total taking it easy. As the SLC has the beefed-up roof mechanism it will be even better as they wont be able to invalidate the roof warranty for raising and lowering it on the move anymore.

It's extremely handy to be able to drop the roof (or just the Windows), get in or out and put the roof back up as you can squeeze through a narrower door gap with the roof/windows down.

The doors are incredibly long, something you don't really appreciate until you've parked in a few tight car parks!

I would definitely recommend you go for it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,534 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,509 Posts
I've fitted SmartTops on both R171 and R172 cars. Difficulty wise they are about the same but the R172 has connectors for everything whilst the R171 version requires you to splice into a power source and find a ground. Slightly more stripping down required for the R172 install too.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
The part number doesn't appear to have changed between the R172 SLK & the SLC so I guess that I could remove the one on my car and re-use it if I buy an SLC... very handy to know :smile:
Is the module installed on your SLK one of the early ones that required swapping wire pin connectors?
If so you should consider getting a new wiring harness for it (around $150). That would make the installation much easier on the SLC.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is the module installed on your SLK one of the early ones that required swapping wire pin connectors?
If so you should consider getting a new wiring harness for it (around $150). That would make the installation much easier on the SLC.
Luckily mine is the plug an play type but it's good that you made the point... as it won't necessarily be the same for everyone else. :tu:

I half expected the SCL modules to be different from the R172 ones because of the enhancements they've made to the folding top on the new model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here's a little more info about it, as well as links to DIY threads about installing it:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Installation on my R171 SLK was easier than I had thought, and I'm told it's even easier on the R172 (which I expect will be similar to the SLC, as that is still an R172), although I have no personal experience of this.

I bought my SmartTop from PPCGB - see link in my signature for more info about that, including how to get 5% discount from them.

Thanks dbgrn

Thanks for all the feedback Guys .

The reason i liked the look of this as an option is as you say, you can raise and lower the roof on the SLC while its moving, so long as you start the operation from a stand still . BUT you have to keep you figure pressed on the button in the centre console for the whole time . If you take your finger off , the process of opening / closing stops were ever the roof is at the time.

I believe with the SmartTop add on , you can open and close the roof by pressing the Key fob three times ? and then let the car get on with it. Is this correct ? I know its only a small thing , but when you sit for 15 / 20 seconds in the car waiting for the roof to close, it feels like for ever.... but maybe thats just me . - I do like my gadgets ... :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part number doesn't appear to have changed between the R172 SLK & the SLC so I guess that I could remove the one on my car and re-use it if I buy an SLC... very handy to know :smile:
When i made the initial enquiry by phone, they did tell me they were testing the existing R172 SLK model on the SLC, so i don't believe that they have changed it, only tested it on an SLC and confirmed its still works Ok ..

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Thanks dbgrn

The reason i liked the look of this as an option is as you say, you can raise and lower the roof on the SLC while its moving, so long as you start the operation from a stand still . BUT you have to keep you figure pressed on the button in the centre console for the whole time . If you take your finger off , the process of opening / closing stops were ever the roof is at the time.

I believe with the SmartTop add on , you can open and close the roof by pressing the Key fob three times ? and then let the car get on with it. Is this correct ? I know its only a small thing , but when you sit for 15 / 20 seconds in the car waiting for the roof to close, it feels like for ever.... but maybe thats just me . - I do like my gadgets ... :wink:
Dave, Yes, you're right about the 3 clicks from the keyfob. Also, with SmartTop, there's no need to keep your finger on the button - click once, and then leave it to finish. With the options set correctly, you can click once, turn car engine off, and get out while the roof continues to close... Also, with SmartTop, you can start the open or close operation while the car is moving (at speeds of up to 60kmh/38mph!).

Knowing some of the differences now, and from your answer above, I'd say that you're going to love SmartTop! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,509 Posts
Thanks dbgrn

I believe with the SmartTop add on , you can open and close the roof by pressing the Key fob three times ? and then let the car get on with it. Is this correct ? I know its only a small thing , but when you sit for 15 / 20 seconds in the car waiting for the roof to close, it feels like for ever.... but maybe thats just me .
With SmartTop the roof will operate up or down on the move up to a pre-set speed limit that you choose up to 38 mph or thereabouts. There is no need to initiate a change at a stand still Dave.

The control switch in the cabin also turns into a one touch device too so no having to keep holding it whilst the roof is moving. They are a wonderful device especially if you get caught out by a rain shower! :smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With SmartTop the roof will operate up or down on the move up to a pre-set speed limit that you choose up to 38 mph or thereabouts. There is no need to initiate a change at a stand still Dave.

The control switch in the cabin also turns into a one touch device too so no having to keep holding it whilst the roof is moving. They are a wonderful device especially if you get caught out by a rain shower! :smile:
Thats brilliant - looks like ill be spending more money , very soon !!!- Thank you

·
Banned
974 Posts
Surely the SLC rear side windows CAN be raised along with the main side windows, Mercedes can't be so stupid as to NOT incorporate that feature as per the SL after all the SLC is SUPPOSED to be an evolutionary model.
At least the roof can be raised & lowered at speeds faster than 3mph.
Also are all SLC's fitted with electrically folding mirrors as standard?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Also are all SLC's fitted with electrically folding mirrors as standard?
No, they're £350 option on everything but the AMG43. :surprise:

From the SLC configurator:

Mirror Pack £350
Auto dimming rear-view and driver's exterior mirror
Exterior mirrors - electrically folding
Ambient lighting with projection of brand logo, £0

The good news you get a MB logo projected from the bottom of the mirrors as a puddle light - for free!

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Ew, I thought the SmartTop was hard to put in my 2006 SLK. I just looked at the install instructions for the potentially doing the SLC and it is COMPLICATED. Lots of places to potential bust something. I'll have to really think if I want to do this one. I'd love to have the SmartTop. Wish there was another Vegas gettogether and Swen (or was it Sven ) could put it in for me :)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ew, I thought the SmartTop was hard to put in my 2006 SLK. I just looked at the install instructions for the potentially doing the SLC and it is COMPLICATED. Lots of places to potential bust something. I'll have to really think if I want to do this one. I'd love to have the SmartTop. Wish there was another Vegas gettogether and Swen (or was it Sven ) could put it in for me :)
It really shouldn't be complicated. It's 1 screw and a bit of pulling to get the roll bar cover trim off then the carpet has to be pulled forward, pop out the speakers, undo or loosen another 12 Torx bolts I think then pull forward the bulkhead panel, flip open two connectors and then do all that again reverse. Bush, bash, bosh - job's a good 'un.

I suppose it does look like quite a bit, but really it's 45-60 minutes work and you don't need any electronics skills.

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
It really shouldn't be complicated. It's 1 screw and a bit of pulling to get the roll bar cover trim off then the carpet has to be pulled forward, pop out the speakers, undo or loosen another 12 Torx bolts I think then pull forward the bulkhead panel, flip open two connectors and then do all that again reverse. Bush, bash, bosh - job's a good 'un.

I suppose it does look like quite a bit, but really it's 45-60 minutes work and you don't need any electronics skills.

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?
Let's see. When I put the one in my 2006 SLK 350, I recall it was supposed to take 1 hour. I took 3 and busted the heck out of the little black boxes for the wiring channel cause I couldn't get me fingers to squeeze it enough to get it open. And I saw them do it at Fletcher Jones when were out there for the meet and it took them 10 minutes. Of course it is different when you've done it a bunch of times.

What the worst? Prying the various pieces parts scratch or break them. I lose a screw under the floor carpet or behind down inside the bowels of the car interior. The panel falls off of the seat tops and scratches the window, the seats, the dashboard and breaks the wires. I strip the screws and can't get them out or back in. I connect it wrong electrically and toast the electronics.

For a starter :) Come on, that was too easy. I can think of LOTS that can go wrong.

I AM fairly handy. I am have a physics degree after all. And I've remodeled bathrooms and moved doorways, widened walls, did all the electrical and plumbing. But things never seem to go easy.

But thanks for the encouragement. I'll probably go ahead and do it because I like the convenience. I just wish Benz would have built it in instead of the lame excuse for a remote roof opener that was in the 2006 and the nearly as lame one for the 2017.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts