Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, put in my smarttop and wired in the valentine one detector today. It sucked, I hate working with plastic pieces and it seems like everything is designed to cut you, but after a while I got it, and I do love it, it works great.

However, during the process I did something that made my car think there is a SRS error. I did a search and found someone who did the same thing, he got his reset by some expert mercedes technician. Sounds like mine needs the same thing. I am not really sure about bringing it by mercedes, don't know what they will do or if they will dig around and find the smarttop. Went by another place and their little handheld computer wouldn't reset it, and they said it would be $50 to hook it up to their other thing they use to diagnose cars, and they could do it with that.

Any recommendations on what I should do? Would unplugging the battery for a while do any good for me? Do you think mercedes could do anything, hopefully without spending a bunch of money? I don't really want to buy my own code reader to reset it, I don't work on the car myself enough to warrant the money.

This smarttop is cool though. Didn't realize how much of a pain it was to hold that button. :) Now if I can just get this fixed it will be perfect!

·
Registered 2005 SLK200
307 Posts
I think that you could find an indy garage where they will manage to reset the error... Even here we have such garages...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Double check the wiring harness and connectors at the bottom of the seats to make sure they are well seated or connected tight and proper. Use a flashlight/torch as needed.

Make sure you "de-activate" the smartTOP (Function 1 is OFF ) before going to any garage/shop, otherwise you DAS will get error message.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, went to a local independent shop and they reset it for me. All is good, no issues.

Just to check, the srs light stays on for a split second after startup, then goes away. Is that normal? No error warnings or anything, just don't remember if it has always done that or not.

Thanks guy!!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Just to check, the srs light stays on for a split second after startup, then goes away. Is that normal? No error warnings or anything, just don't remember if it has always done that or not.

Thanks guy!!
It's normal for it to stay on for about a second on startup.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Ok, went to a local independent shop and they reset it for me. All is good, no issues.

Thanks guy!!
Per DansSLK, when doing the ignition process to start the R171, do the following:

1. insert key and turn to position 1, the SRS red warning lamp will turn on (brake warning lamp will also turn on if e-brake is engaged), wait for SRS lamp to turn off (usually after 5 seconds, this is when the car computer system is doing its checks and boot-up process), then ....

2. turn key to position 2, and wait 3 seconds, then ....

3. turn key to the right and release immediately (think of it as a spring-loaded switch, this sends signal to start ignition process and start the engine). Do not turn and hold (as this will send multiple signals to start the engine, may confuse the "car-puter", much like a keyboard sends a signal to type a letter)

.... so to answer your question: yes, it is normal for SRS to light up for a few seconds while in position 1.

Reactions: SamuraiSpirit
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.