Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a red wire connected to the light switch. It's my 12V power supply for SmartTop and I think I managed to make short circuit during tests. There are no errors on the dashboard, I can't see any burnt fuses under the dashboard, but there is no 12V on the wire (it used to be, 1h ago). Any idea where is the fuse? Sigh...

·
Super Moderator (UK)
30,060 Posts
DiY section

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I know where are the fuses, but I don;t know which one (if any) is burnt. Courtesy lights on the door doesn't work - I need to check it.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Interior lights work, but they are not activated when I open the door. I checked Settings - they should switch on. I'm still searching for the puddle light fuse, but looks like it's connected to the door module, so the problem might be somewhere else. Window goes down when I open the door, so the door module gets power.

Edit: Back to basics - I'm looking for headlight switch wiring diagram...

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
938 Posts
Note that the door switched interior light ONLY works when it’s dark, so not a good test.
the light sensor for this is between the speedo and Rev counter.

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
67 Posts
What were you doing when the power stopped?

I had a problem with the "tap" for the smart top that had been installed by a previous owner. It wasn't giving me any power or only intermittent. I put in a new wire tap in a different location on the same wire and no i have no issues.

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to measure the current the SmartTop takes. The SmartTop unit was submersed in water, I replaced power supply chip and the PTC fuse. Still doesn't work and the dsPIC (aka CPU) gets very hot (too hot to touch).

I removed the tap and measured directly on the cable - the is no voltage in the wire, but I can't find anything in the car that doesn't work :cool:

We used to have schematic diagram database on the forum, but the link is dead. I need to find out where the red wire goes, so I need the headlight switch wiring diagram. I'd really appreciate any help :) I'll probably end up powering the SmartTop unit from some other place, but I feel I broke something and I want to fix it first...

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
149 Posts
This car can do things that will downright baffle you because you are not yet familiar with how it works. For example, when installing a different radio the car can decide it does not like that radio and will turn off power to the red lead for the radio system until you reinstall the old radio it likes. I took half the car apart tracing wires and fuses looking for a problem that was not really there.

You may very well be dealing with that same situation.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
2,561 Posts
I tried to measure the current the SmartTop takes. The SmartTop unit was submersed in water, I replaced power supply chip and the PTC fuse. Still doesn't work and the dsPIC (aka CPU) gets very hot (too hot to touch).

I removed the tap and measured directly on the cable - the is no voltage in the wire, but I can't find anything in the car that doesn't work :cool:

We used to have schematic diagram database on the forum, but the link is dead. I need to find out where the red wire goes, so I need the headlight switch wiring diagram. I'd really appreciate any help :) I'll probably end up powering the SmartTop unit from some other place, but I feel I broke something and I want to fix it first...
Light switch is S1 in the wiring diagram.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts