Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read through the instructions for installing the r171 smarttop, I've decided (actually the other half has decided) that the potential for getting it wrong is too high.

Rather than give the job to a garage, is there anyone in the Brighton area who has installed one that could help me for one in return for money and gratitude? I'd rather do this for 2 reasons;
The garage may not have done it before so I'd rather not have the blind leading the blind.
Secondly, if I've seen it being installed then I'd be more confident about reversing the procedure when it comes time to sell the car.

I'm picking the car up on Saturday and hopefully ordering the module around the same time for arrival sometime next week so so one of the weekends following that would be perfect if there is anyone nearby.

I have a garage to do the work if it's raining or I could come to you if that's better for you.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Having read through the instructions for installing the r171 smarttop, I've decided (actually the other half has decided) that the potential for getting it wrong is too high.

Rather than give the job to a garage, is there anyone in the Brighton area who has installed one that could help me for one in return for money and gratitude? I'd rather do this for 2 reasons;
The garage may not have done it before so I'd rather not have the blind leading the blind.
Secondly, if I've seen it being installed then I'd be more confident about reversing the procedure when it comes time to sell the car.

I'm picking the car up on Saturday and hopefully ordering the module around the same time for arrival sometime next week so so one of the weekends following that would be perfect if there is anyone nearby.

I have a garage to do the work if it's raining or I could come to you if that's better for you.

Hopefully somebody nearby will come up trumps.

But if not, I was exactly like you when mine needing doing. If you gather / print the great advice on fitting from the forum aswell as instructions, twice :laugh:, then take your time with plenty of tea you will be fine. Any problems on the way, just post them up and someone will always help you.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Hopefully somebody nearby will come up trumps.

But if not, I was exactly like you when mine needing doing. If you gather / print the great advice on fitting from the forum aswell as instructions, twice :laugh:, then take your time with plenty of tea you will be fine. Any problems on the way, just post them up and someone will always help you.
I've just spotted a fatal flaw in your advice ....

It should be BEER, not TEA .... !:grin:

I'm sure theres a few members down south who've done this ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was exactly like you when mine needing doing. If you gather / print the great advice on fitting from the forum aswell as instructions, twice
, then take your time with plenty of tea you will be fine. Any problems on the way, just post them up and someone will always help you.
Since "dashcam-gate", I am no longer allowed to do anything electrical beyond changing batteries. I suppose that I could claim that it's mechanical..... :D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
415 Posts
Hi
Good day

I am replying to your posting not because I can offer any help as I still have not install the SmartTop.
as I am still thinking about it.

But I am replying because of the way you posted your question:
"that could help me for one in return for money and gratitude"

Do you really think that members here in SLKWorld, will help better by offering money & gratitude??

So disappointing to hear such.
I always thought or rather it is known among us, Asian or Chinese, that money is king & by offering money will grease everything.

I joined this forum is because I know help & assistance will always be given based on honesty & sincerity from other members, especially jbanks15

I am an old Chinese Taoist/Buddhist, I really hate this, when money is offered for help.
Help should be & will be given especially to the needy & helpless even in our daily' life.

If anyone takes offense to my reply to this posting, so be it, I have have no qualm about it.

But is if was posted in a jest about offering of money, then I retract my posting without prejudice.

Thank you & have a nice day.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Sorry I can't physically help to fit it as I'm too far away in Coventry but if it helps I was unsure as it looks quite daunting, however if you use the downloadable instructions from the smarttop website and find the thread on here (I'm sure Mr Banks will help there) you'll find it's pretty straightforward to fit and if as has already been said you get stuck someone will always be online to help. To my knowledge whenever I've needed help the people of this forum have been great. Good luck with the install and I'd like to hear more about the dashcam.?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry to have offended you Hui but I think you are misinterpreting my etiquette.

If I was just asking for something that is very quick or easy to do then I would only offer my thanks in return. In this case though, I am asking someone to do work for me - something that a garage would (quite rightly) charge for. Imagine a post that said "I don't know how to service my car. Can someone come to my house and do this job for me." and did not mention paying for the help? Most responses would be to tell the OP to go to a garage - you are trying to get something for nothing.

Now if I was a long-standing member with a history of being helpful to fellow members then I would offer the cups of tea / beer tokens / etc that the others have mentioned but since I am a new joiner who has not contributed anything of value yet then I have to be seen to be "paying my way" and not taking advantage of people's kindness.

Often the helper will refuse payment (I have gone out of my way to help others and refused payment because I like to help and I don't need the money) but the point is that the decision should lie with the helper, not with the person asking for help. Sometimes the helper will accept the payment and that is perfectly okay as well - we don't know their personal circumstances (they may be unemployed or need some money for whatever reason) and they should not be judged for their decision.

I hope this has clarified my intention - it is because of my honesty and sincerity that I DO offer money. It is not because I am trying to act like a rich mercedes owner who thinks that they can just throw money at a problem (the car I am getting is 6 years old!). It is because I am offering respect for the people who might help me.

It may also amuse you to learn that I am also Chinese!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck with the install and I'd like to hear more about the dashcam.?
Thanks Geoffo! I may wait for an opportune moment and go down the self-install route (ask for forgiveness, not for permission!)

I'm afraid that we can never talk about "Dashcam-gate"...... <walks off extremely sheepishly>

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Chicken, I agree with your assessment entirely. I don't see anything wrong with making an offer for remuneration or appreciation in advance. This allows the other person to decide what's of more value to them. You both get what you want. Win-win.
Btw, I'm Chinese also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So having read the diy guide a couple of times, I can feel my confidence growing to attempt this job myself.

The only thing holding me back now is the part about connecting the "+ power" wire. This is what got me into trouble with Dashcam-gate so I'm especially nervous.

For the RHD instructions, it says there's no easy way to get power without tapping a wire. I guess this means it's too far away from the fusebox to route the wire easily? If not, how do you decide which fuse to

How do you identify which one is the "headlight control" one? And do you then run an inline fuse between the tap and the smarttop module?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
So having read the diy guide a couple of times, I can feel my confidence growing to attempt this job myself.

The only thing holding me back now is the part about connecting the "+ power" wire. This is what got me into trouble with Dashcam-gate so I'm especially nervous.

For the RHD instructions, it says there's no easy way to get power without tapping a wire. I guess this means it's too far away from the fusebox to route the wire easily? If not, how do you decide which fuse to

How do you identify which one is the "headlight control" one? And do you then run an inline fuse between the tap and the smarttop module?

Thanks in advance guys.
I followed the smart top instructions tapping into the red live wire as shown and all worked fine first time. It is tight for room , but I managed to do the wire tap without taking the light switch out. I put a note that I found it easier to run the wire down by taking the accelerator pedal off. Easier access. Needs a long reach 10mm socket to do it.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I also tapped into the live wire behind the headlight switch, as Dave said above. I popped the headlight switch out though, which made it easier to get to the right cable to tap into. I'm sure that's covered in the instructions that come with the SmartTop for us in RHD countries though.

I also recommend printing the DIY instructions from this forum too... I wasn't confident about fitting it myself, but I did it after careful reading of the instructions and DIY doc (at least twice!). See the link in my signature for links to my comments and the DIY.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Just to agree with davest4s and dbgrn's posts. Once you have unclipped the dashboard end cover you'll see the headlight switch wires and it's pretty easy to tap in to the red one and run the wire to the control unit behind the footwell side panel. Go for it, it's not a dashcam !! ( but still curious) >:D

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
415 Posts
Hi
Good day

FYI, it is a rule of thumb:
Never never tap off power supply from any existing wire even though it stated in the instruction manual.
Because the device' user manual do NOT know how many other devices are connected to that particular wire.

It is best to route a new wire directly from the battery if you want a permanent power supply (12 volt DC) with a inline fuse located near the battery for easy access.

This so very important but not many want to do it because it is a hassle to route a new wire all the way from the battery.

But it is much much safer, as time goes on, more and more accessories will and or could be connected to the existing permanent live wire henceforth overloading it especially if you are a second or third hand owner.
You do not know what other devices were/are connected to that particular permanent live wire.

Another thing is today cars are all controlled by many ECUs and any voltage drop (fluctuation), will cause "strange things" to happen.
This is usually caused by many ignorant car accessories installers.
That is why, sometimes, you have some devices working well & fine & sometimes not and sometimes go crazy.

If I am not mistaken, correct me if I am wrong, there about 5 to 10 or more ECUs in today' modern cars.
All these ECUs need a "good strong" 12 volt supply, without voltage fluctuation, 12 volt dc supply.

And if you need a 12 volt dc power supply from the ignition switch (when ignition is on only), use a Bosch relay, henceforth, the ignition switch will not be overloaded.
And if you need 12 volt dc supply from and LED light source, use a 6 volt dc relay or a voltage booster.
( LED light power source can trigger a 6 volt dc relay)

Many cars caught fire, it is because of bad wiring & simply tapping power supplies from existing wires and or without an inline fuse.

Rule of thumb in car wiring:

NEVER NEVER TAP OFF FROM EXISTING ORIGINAL WIRE FOR POWER SUPPLY.
except maybe for the negative wire.
Always use fuse and or relays.
If relay are needed, use BOSCH relay.
This so very important especially for TODAY' cars.

Thank you & have a nice day

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
205 Posts
Interesting previous post. I would be curious to know just how many people who have fitted the smarttop module (including myself) have done so by tapping in to the light switch live wire and how many of those people have operated the module only to see their pride and joy transform into a raging inferno.!!

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Interesting previous post. I would be curious to know just how many people who have fitted the smarttop module (including myself) have done so by tapping in to the light switch live wire and how many of those people have operated the module only to see their pride and joy transform into a raging inferno.!!

I agree, this will be the third summer this year since installing mine with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only electrical addition I've made to my car so far is a hard wired dash-cam,
taking a supply from the back of the auxillary power socket as the camera draws very little.
However as I intend to make further mods I will install a Fuzeblock, I fitted one
to my bike to allow me a safe method of distributing power to the
various bibs and bobs that I've added.
I hope this might provide a solution for others seeking to draw power for
accessories safely.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I did it and while it wasn't as straightforward as it looks, it was manageable.

I found pushing the carpet back the hardest part. Mercedes seems to have glued my carpet down in places and made pulling it up nigh on impossible and I was only just able to make enough room to open the canbus covering plate.

You absolutely have to unbolt the accelerator pedal but that is really easy if you have a 10mm socket.

Next project is a pedalbox which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Now that really will be a 10 minute job!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.