Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing the Smarttop and have a question. How do you get the black cover over the wiring loom off. I have printed all the info I can find and still can't get this cover off. I don't want to break anything but it seems impossible to get it separated from the 4 L shaped clips. Help please.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,297 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean the cover that covers the can bus covers and the wiring loom. I am using instruction that I printed off the SLKWorld site as well as those supplies by Mods4Cars.Com.
Mike

·
105,297 Posts
so you mean this

i broke 2 of em :D no harm

The 4 tabs that hold the cover are inverted L-shaped tabs with the short leg of the L facing the center of the car. Push the tabs outward (away from the center line) with fingers from one hand as you lift the black plastic cover with the other hand. This may require some force and part of the plastic cover that engages the tabs may stretch or break in the process. Do not panic as the harness cover will snap back in place and close securely even if one or two breaks.

·
105,297 Posts
says requires some force

The 4 tabs that hold the cover are inverted L-shaped tabs with the short leg of the L facing the center of the car. Push the tabs outward (away from the center line) with fingers from one hand as you lift the black plastic cover with the other hand. This may require some force and part of the plastic cover that engages the tabs may stretch or break in the process.

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,483 Posts
Start with the 2nd or 3rd one farthest away from the front of vehicle: feel first for tabs that are engaged against slot of the wire loom channel cover. Push the lower part away from center of vehicle with fingers from one hand while lifting the cover up with the other. Medium force may be required. Once you have released one, you will know how to release the rest.

If you break the thin plastic that borders one end of the rectangular slot on the wire loom channel cover. No biggie. I actually cut this central thin part but leave a 0.5 cm at each end so it will still engage the 7-shaped tabs (or inverted L-shape tabs).

Reactions: jbanks15

·
105,297 Posts
About time you checked in Doctor!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Nice to have a doctor "on call."

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm just not having any luck getting this cover off. Im guess I'm going to look for someone to help with the install. Makes me feel like a wimp. I know there has to be a trick to getting it off. I just can't seem to find it.

·
105,297 Posts
Take a deep breath, take a short break, then come back to it. it will show you the way :D

·
19,483 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm just not having any luck getting this cover off. Im guess I'm going to look for someone to help with the install. Makes me feel like a wimp. I know there has to be a trick to getting it off. I just can't seem to find it.
Don't get discouraged:

1. Make sure the carpet has been lifted up and inward using a stick or box as noted in the SmartTop install thread.

2. Feel for the locking tab locations, you may be able to see a small rectangular indent on the cover facing the centerline of the vehicle.

3. Try lifting upward with moderate to strong force, use both hands with fingers curled against the lip (located on the inner surface facing the vehicle center), one on each side of the tab area.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/eddyyu/DSC01918.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good idea. I need a break. But I have applied enough force to begin to pull the entire wiring box off the screws on the floorboard with no results. I have to be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to take a dremel to couple of these clips.

·
105,297 Posts
if i remember correctly, there might be a 'lip' around it that you have to be aware of when lifting up. maybe lift 'out' then up
am i remembering incorrectly Dr?

·
19,483 Posts
See photos on this link on propping the carpet: http://www.slkworld.com/121157-post9.html

Try the 2-hand method, curled fingers against each side of the inside-facing lip with thumbs resting gently on the cover and pull up and out with the thumbs acting as the pivot point.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
Don't worry so much about breaking them. As has been said, you may break a couple and it will still go back together ok. After you break a couple of them, you'll know what to do so you shouldn't break any more of them! I know I had a hell of a time with them. The installation is straightforward, but not easy!!

Just wait until you try the canbus wire retainers...Those are just as bad...>:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Good advice. I got the cover open. Now struggling with opening the connector. I inserted to small pieces of wood (emery board) in the tabs at each end of the connector. Inserting a small jewelers flathead screwdriver into the slots and trying to gently pry the connector apart. Not having any success so far but am continuing to work at it. Thanks for the help you have given me. You have been lifesavers.
Mike

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,758 Posts
Hi All
If I remember correctly , place your thumb on the top cover over the clip & using one of your yet to be damaged fingers & push the side wall below the clip inwards & pull the cover upwards , hope this helps you will break one or two clips but no problem it all under the carpet after the install is finished .

Cheers

Andy

·
19,483 Posts
Opening the CANBUS cover: release the locking tab at one end by pulling away from main body; while pulling or releasing the locking tab, left the cover towards you, towards the side or surface where you have the many small square windows. Release and lift from one side. Once one side is free, you can pivot it off. You may place a small Popsicle stick on the released side to stop it from re-engaging and locking.

I would shave off the locking tab once you have removed the entire CANBUS cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.