Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install the Smarttop module in my 2006 SLK 280. I have printed all the various instructions which are very helpful. I have two questions before I start. 1. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before starting? and 2. Is it necessary to connect the module to a computer to check for latest software and activate various functions?

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,483 Posts
1. No
2. Yes. (Recommended), Best to have latest firmware installed. The various functions can be set quickly with module connected to computer, or set later using steering wheel buttons (which takes longer time).

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
1. no, because you are going to be looking for the green light to assist the connection
2.yes, always good. depends who you bought it from. if mods4cars, i am sure they ship with all software and firmware updates up to date

You beat me Dr Eddy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smarttop Install

Thanks for the quick response. I will check for latest software and get to installing the module this week.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,535 Posts
I agree with both Eddy & Jeff (I wouldn't dare to disagree) ;) ... Also, I left the USB cable connected to the SmartTop and accessible but tucked behind the side panel in the footwell panel. As has been said, you can reprogram functions with the steering wheel buttons, but need to connect to a laptop for firmware updates. Although not frequently needed, at least I have the peace of mind that I can do them without lifting the carpet (and canbus cover!), although I would need to use a USB extension cable I have to be able to plug into the laptop! :D

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,758 Posts
Hi All
I agree with all the above , one of the common problems some people have had me included is get the two wires the wrong way round that go into the small black connector , just make sure you understand the install instructions & double check yourself as you go along , I second what dbgrn is saying with the USB lead , I have mine beside the end panel of the dash , a little easier to get to & if you have a laptop for upgrades you can put it on the bonnet/hood so getting a better wifi connection from the house . The real pain is getting the canbus box open its a real finger killer . One last thing when plugging into the canbus connector block the correct connector may be a different position , just follow the instructions until you get the correct led blink . Hope we have not put you off this install ,it's a great mod & a nice bang for bucks

Cheers

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.