·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have option 14U - Smartphone Integration Package and 16U - Apple Car Play

But I have an Android Phone and want to use Android Auto

I cannot find the option in COMAND online display only Apple Car Play

Is this something that can be changed by the dealer through software or what?

Any help would be appreciated as my local dealer doesn't seem to be able to answer me !

Thanks in advance

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
737 Posts
Needs to be enabled by dealer (there will be a charge) or apparently some 3rd party people are selling OBD single purpose programmers for this that are fairly cheap.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,086 Posts
Needs to be enabled by dealer (there will be a charge) or apparently some 3rd party people are selling OBD single purpose programmers for this that are fairly cheap.
We try not to discuss material that 'may' infringe MB copyright.

What happens in private messaging, remains private, however.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies

I am just baffled why a MB dealer does not seem to know!

When I got back to them today and told them about the replies on this forum, advising them

Then they said, oh yes we need to enable it in the software

Just waiting for the cost now...

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
161 Posts
Apple CarPlay included even though I don't have Smartphone integration package

The strange thing for me was I DID NOT specify the smartphone integration package 14U (It was a £250 option!) on my new from factory car.

I have the basic Audio 20 with included Garmin MapPilot and I have the SLC43 AMG, with the UK model being well specified compared with other countries and having a load of included options as standard but NOT smartphone integration.

I picked up my car in July 2019 and it was one of the first of the refreshed 2019 models with the increased power output (385bhp)

In around September, I had a weird message out of the blue on the Audio display that I kind of glossed over and just pushed "OK" and it was all about phone connectivity and mentioned Apple Carplay and accepting terms and conditions.

I had been fiddling with the Audio 20 menu settings but I have no idea what I was trying to do when it occurred. I am not even sure that it wasn't in response to me plugging my phone into the USB socket for the first time. This is possible.

Money shot: Now, when I plug my iPhone or a Samsung into the USB port in the centre storage box, I can get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I don't use it as I prefer to have a tiny little Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1 with 128Gb and over 20,000 320kbps mp3 files on it and this only connects to the Audio 20 media player using the same USB slot as required for phone connectivity.

Sadly, on the SLC, (Audio 20 for sure) CarPlay doesn't work when the phone is connected over Bluetooth, only with a wired USB connection

I'm just about to request my Datacard to see what the build spec. on my car is...

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
161 Posts
OK - well lucky me - I got the £250 Smartphone Integration and Apple CarPlay etc for free according to my Datacard

11U Preinstallation for Remote Online
14U Smartphone integration
15U Pre-installation for Mercedes-Benz Link
16U Apple CarPlay
17U Android Auto

The strange thing for me was I DID NOT specify the smartphone integration package 14U (It was a £250 option!) on my new from factory car.

I have the basic Audio 20 with included Garmin MapPilot and I have the SLC43 AMG, with the UK model being well specified compared with other countries and having a load of included options as standard but NOT smartphone integration.

I picked up my car in July 2019 and it was one of the first of the refreshed 2019 models with the increased power output (385bhp)

In around September, I had a weird message out of the blue on the Audio display that I kind of glossed over and just pushed "OK" and it was all about phone connectivity and mentioned Apple Carplay and accepting terms and conditions.

I had been fiddling with the Audio 20 menu settings but I have no idea what I was trying to do when it occurred. I am not even sure that it wasn't in response to me plugging my phone into the USB socket for the first time. This is possible.

Money shot: Now, when I plug my iPhone or a Samsung into the USB port in the centre storage box, I can get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I don't use it as I prefer to have a tiny little Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1 with 128Gb and over 20,000 320kbps mp3 files on it and this only connects to the Audio 20 media player using the same USB slot as required for phone connectivity.

Sadly, on the SLC, (Audio 20 for sure) CarPlay doesn't work when the phone is connected over Bluetooth, only with a wired USB connection

I'm just about to request my Datacard to see what the build spec. on my car is...

·
Premium member 2006 SLK55 AMG/JimmieZ
79 Posts

Note: It's the same on the NEW Fords as well. New 2019 Raptor F-150 Truck of my nephew's it has to be plugged.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
34 Posts
I have the :

11u MB Connect
14u Smartphone integration
16u Apple Car Play

but no 17u Android Auto. Wonder how much that costs?

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
161 Posts
It will almost be certainly be cheaper to actually pay the cost differential between a Samsung and an Apple phone and just buy an iPhone when you change your phone, and use the Apple Car Play that you have!

From other posts on these forums, not only are Mercedes Stealers ignorant about how this might be able to be done, but they charge an arm and a leg to do these enablement's.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,086 Posts
Just be aware that Google has limited the apps that play with Android Auto to prevent distractions.
Any idea which ones?
I do not know, but would expect any video playing app.
Perhaps music vids.

Similar to the MB policy.

A side note.
Folks know that I am not the greatest MB dealership fan.
That said, I recommend that it is always worthwhile asking them.
Sometimes they surprise us.

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
34 Posts
So, I went to my MB dealership yesterday and they said it wasn't possible to add the 17u android app. My main reason for wanting to do it was so that I could see bespoke maps that I create on the car's screen instead of having to use a satnav.

I create the maps using the Tyre programme and can save them in a variety of formats including TomTom itn.and POI, Garmin Gpx and POI, Google Earth KML and KMZ, Navigon, Medion XML, Co-Pilot, Garmin csv files and even Google maps. Unfortunately, I cannot transfer a map to the car using either the phone, a usb or an sd card..

I've come across something called SD Card Navigation on the MB website but it looks like this is just for up-dating.

Any ideas, much appreciated.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I went to my MB dealership yesterday and they said it wasn't possible to add the 17u android app. My main reason for wanting to do it was so that I could see bespoke maps that I create on the car's screen instead of having to use a satnav.

I create the maps using the Tyre programme and can save them in a variety of formats including TomTom itn.and POI, Garmin Gpx and POI, Google Earth KML and KMZ, Navigon, Medion XML, Co-Pilot, Garmin csv files and even Google maps. Unfortunately, I cannot transfer a map to the car using either the phone, a usb or an sd card..

I've come across something called SD Card Navigation on the MB website but it looks like this is just for up-dating.

Any ideas, much appreciated.

Hi

Your MB dealer is talking rubbish as I have those same options as yourself

The added Android Auto to my car with no problem, although only 1 technician on site the experience to do so

You are probably a long way from Inchcape Mercedes in Loughborough but they know how to do it

Go back and give them some hassle if you can !

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
34 Posts
Took my car to dealer for a service and to get the android app sorted. They said 17u Android was already installed on the car so they up-dated it and waved goodbye. Got home still not working.#

Also having a problem with Connect me since I renewed the subscription; it hasn't worked. They said they fixed that. I don't think they have because the location of the car shown on the app is about 1.5 miles from it's actual location so geofencing might be a problem

Been a bad week in the office

1 - 20 of 20 Posts