Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers,
I was just curious......... I will be getting the Smart-Top next month and Wooley has offered to meet up for a joint install........I am useless with electrics

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
New here...

Is is a plug-and-play unit...easy install for the DIY crowd?
It's fairly easy, but I would search the forum for tips, tricks, and photos of the process. There has been a great deal posted in the past on installing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Buy it mate, but bid as you will land it for around 85 quid. I have this on my 55 and it works just as well as the more expensive ones. Search my thread on it because there is an issue with the fitting instructions that dont work for rhd, its no big deal but the feed wire MUST be connected to a perm live that can be found at the rear of the light switch.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/7630-fitted-reinhold-cabrio-de-module-55-amg.html

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,395 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have fitted one of these and had a small problem with the windows dropping on one key press. Apparently this happens on some cars but very few. I sent the unit back and had the timing pulse opened up a tiny bit and now have no problems. The customer service is good. I did use the light switch to pick up the power but be careful when popping it out you must squeeze the clips at the back with your fingers viewed from inside the side of the dash panel to get the switch out. You need strong fingers at this stage. I also removed the accelerator pedal and this made things much easier. I had no problems with the Canbus connector but the design differed from pictures I had seen and slid out and came apart very easily.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I fitted one of those two days ago, sourced from that same seller on eBay.

If you search for and read the threads on this forum regarding fitting (mainly the US version, more expensive but seems to do the same thing and fitting is identical) you will find lots of good advice, with pictures. It's all true, you need more than the basic diy skills, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist.

It's a pig to get at the can bus connect, it appears to be impossible-unless you've done it before-to remove the can bus connector lock without damaging it, and my car doesn't have the same wiring that is is described in the instructions-I had to go elsewhere for the permanent +12v supply.

Having said that, it is an excelent mod, and makes a huge difference to operating the top, when driving up to 60kmh you can open it with one 1 second pull/push on the top control switch, you can open it from about 50/60 yards away so it is fully open before you reach the car, you can start closing it before you pull and exit the car while it finishes closing, and you don't have to stop to put the top up if it starts raining.

Oh-people stare too.

Get one-made a huge difference and it's only been fitted for two days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.