Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had it installed by MB yesterday to keep my warranty , don't know why I waited so long to get one ....I can really recomend it , they have limited it to 15mph

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
We told you so!!

That's the first time I've ever heard of an MB dealer fitting one. Did they hum and hah about it, or fit it without any questions?

If you want, you can quite easily adjust the top up speed yourself. If you think about it, you wouldn't worry about operating the roof in a 35mph breeze whilst stopped. Just make sure you're on a smooth road whilst using it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...because of the prang on their site , they elected to fit free as one if there gestures of good will and this meant it kept my warranty in tact hitch was a major concern of mine . They said they might even offer it as an aftermarket accessory, they did say its deffo not a DIY job ........but they would say that !!
Yes you wa right !!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
That's strange that they are thinking about offering it. The reason why MB don't fit something like that and use the pathetic IR control is because of MBs Elves & safety lot. They don't like the idea of passing public having their limbs severed by an un-attended roof. I'm sure the average SLK owner would not let this happen, mainly because it would take too long to clean up the mess afterwards.

And as for not being a DIY job . . . . .

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
same dealers told me no way would they fit a smart top to a slk as it voids the warranty.

But that was five years ago :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's ok s long as its fitted by their experts ...... Not saying they will offer it but they were surprised its only plug and play

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
It's ok s long as its fitted by their experts ...... Not saying they will offer it but they were surprised its only plug and play
I would put a good bit of money on it that they will be a supplying dealer for smartop module in the not so distant future .

·
Registered
11 Posts
smart top

Hi all have just fitted a remote roof module purchased from good old e bay from a german company www.cabrio-module.de Found installation not to taxing but beware instructions are for l/h drive cars altho very detailed with pictures. Don't know if any body else has fitted this module. The can -distributer is on r/h side off car but no harness with live cables they are l/h side so you will need to rerun to a live els ware. All in all this is an excellent alternative to a smart top module at a reasonable cost off £132 including post from Germany to UK. It has all the functions off a smart top including using original M/B remote fob also you don't have to hold internal button to open & close roof you just need to tap it + you can operate roof while moving at whatever speed you set it but i would set it at a maximum off 30km/h which is set as default

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Did you show them the instructions from SLKWorld.com on the SmartTop install on the R172?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I did , they found it most helpfull because the technician rang me to see if there were any and I said yes I left them with the manager

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't know why a dealer wouldn't offer the SmartTop as an aftermarket accessory. Any tech can be trained to install it with low risk and the dealership can probably charge the average customer a couple of hours of shop time. Sounds like another money maker to me.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
legal issue. the car was made where u have to keep your finger on the switch. the smarttop is one touch. someone accidentally one touches it and that little kid in the passenger seats gets his head or hand caught in the closing roof and windows!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
I said it in proper english woolman

1 - 20 of 44 Posts