Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
921 Posts
Hi, I'm from Chatham in Kent, and have fitted a smart top to my 2012 SLK....

If your not far away, and we can find a suitable date, I could come and assist you :)

I guess you've already bought it?, and it's the plug and play version, in that there is no splicing of wires involved and just needs to be plugged in?

Its pretty painless, probably 2 hours taking it easy... removing the headrests, rear shelf, dropping the speakers out, unbolting the rear bulkhead behind the seats, wedging in the smart top behind the drivers seat, and plugging it into the existing wiring, trailing a usb lead into the centre pocket for future firmware updates, then putting everything back together...

When I did mine, I only broke 1 clip, which wasn't bad.. lol

Anyway get in touch, if you fancy it...

**** EDIT ****
I see from the Leeds Castle post, your only in Aylesford... so only about 6 miles away!!!.. lol

So, if you wanted it done before the Leeds meet, it will have to be today / tomorrow (may rain on Sunday, do you have a garage?), or next weekend...?.. I'm free on any of those days

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and as per the PM, many thanks for the offer, which I will definitely be taking you up on. Just a matter of ordering the Smart Top (hopefully this week). Don't have a garage so will have to be a day with good weather once I get the unit.

Again, many thanks for the offer of help.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, with a few hours available short notice, I decided to have a go at fitting the Smart Top this morning!
Started at 07:30. Sun was out but not hot, so thought it would be a good time to give it a go.
Only real problems I encountered were ensuring the new loom and control unit were well stowed and allowed the refitting of the metal panel, and fitting the roof cover (ensuring the rubber seals were on the outside and not breaking anything).
Other than that, all finished and tested by 08:45.

Thanks to Swagman for his noble offer to help. May still need your input to get the programming right!

Reactions: etyu and jbanks15

·
Registered 2014 SLK350
71 Posts
Is there anyone in the bay area can give me a hand installing the smart top module? I got all the tool, but still nervous that I will break those clip on the speaker, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.