Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart Top fitted this morning with a little help from the wife..:wink: Only took 1 hour 15 mins would have been quicker but getting the module and all the cables to fit in that void took a bit of time..! Just finished before the rain..! lol Worth every penny, makes the car what it should have been from the factory..!
That’s fantastic , I am going to fit mine over the weekend. Do you know if it’s always the same connector on the canbus that you pull and plug into the smart top into or do you have to try them all. Can you let me know which yours was please.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,857 Posts
That’s fantastic , I am going to fit mine over the weekend. Do you know if it’s always the same connector on the canbus that you pull and plug into the smart top into or do you have to try them all. Can you let me know which yours was please.
read the install instructions? :D always the same

poster has a r172.
you have a r171 different module. installed in 2 different locations

r171 is under floorboard

r172 is behind seats

mods4cars product manual

https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/11142-smarttop-roof-module-install-r171.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
I notice you have a R171 mine is a R172, so i'm unsure if the system is the same..? On the R172 which the roof control module is behind the drivers seat, and only has 2 plugs going into it and these both unplug and the supplied harness plugs into the roof control module and the original plugs go into the harness and smarttop module. job done. The r171 install is completely different, but the install instructions on mods4cars shows clearly which connectors to remove.

·
92,857 Posts
No as you said it in the first reply. But is the plug you pull always in the same place as the instructions say to go through the row from one end to the other ( I did watch the video) the video shows it being found on the second plug that they remove but the layout ( blanks and plugs) is different than mine , so I thought I’d ask someone whos done it. ( didn’t know or notice that the R172 was different)

Thanks
I will always take care of a member (especially one with a 55) :D

my post 4 above has the install links to the r171 install and the m4c install which even uses pics from our install :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will always take care of a member (especially one with a 55) :D

my post 4 above has the install links to the r171 install and the m4c install which even uses pics from our install :D
Sorry but I am new and finding my way around the forum. I’ve looked at the link and it says it could be the 3rd from the empty slot or the one after the brown and black wire with a brown wire. In my case that’s either the 3rd or 5th slot I think. So the question is does anyone know which or do I try both? OR AM I WRONG and it could be another. Any help appreciated

·
92,857 Posts
Sorry but I am new and finding my way around the forum. I’ve looked at the link and it says it could be the 3rd from the empty slot or the one after the brown and black wire with a brown wire. In my case that’s either the 3rd or 5th slot I think. So the question is does anyone know which or do I try both? OR AM I WRONG and it could be another. Any help appreciated

do you already have the smarttop purchased?
is it a r171 module?
where did you get it from if i may ask?

·
92,857 Posts

·
92,857 Posts
post 8

Insert the male plug from the SmartTop module to the slot that you just pulled the plug out from (blue/green wire pair in illustration below, will be red and black from current SmartTop). Insert the male plug that you removed and tagged earlier with the masking tape to the female receptacle (larger cap or connector) of the SmartTop module (next to the thumb in the picture).

This completes a path that leads to the SmartTop, and from the SmartTop to the CANBUS terminal block.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i suggest you make a new thread in the r171 general discussion section
this is the r172 section

do you already have the smarttop purchased?
is it a r171 module?
where did you get it from if i may ask?
Yes it’s a smart top I purchased
It’s new from 911design/mods4cars
I’ve wired the power as per instructions etc. Just wanted to know if there’s a definite slot to go in . Mines a 2005 SLK55

·
92,857 Posts
yes there is a definite slot per both instructions
only on a rare occasion would it go in a different slot

is it not working or just asking to be sure?
the module has a green light to ensure all is hooked up correctly if i remember

what post number are you having issues/questions with?

you plug in the st module cable in the space from which you removed the other cable.
you are swapping cables in essence

·
92,857 Posts
if a member cannot help you, mods4cars support responds quite quickly when a trouble ticket is opened with them

·
92,857 Posts
are you asking for power connection or for smarttop connection to canbus

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
post 8

Insert the male plug from the SmartTop module to the slot that you just pulled the plug out from (blue/green wire pair in illustration below, will be red and black from current SmartTop). Insert the male plug that you removed and tagged earlier with the masking tape to the female receptacle (larger cap or connector) of the SmartTop module (next to the thumb in the picture).

This completes a path that leads to the SmartTop, and from the SmartTop to the CANBUS terminal block.
Thanks that’s the one I read but it also says it may be in another slot so was asking for clarification

·
92,857 Posts
Thanks that’s the one I read but it also says it may be in another slot so was asking for clarification
not grilling you but where did u read

but it also says it may be in another slot so was asking for clarification

follow the install as printed

have you tried the smarttop yet?
you get the green light?
have you programmed its functions yet? like max speed?

we need to know if you are then actually having an issue or just 'checking'

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
#7 of what you linked

Before removing the CANBUS cover, have a small strip of masking tape handy. Re-read the manufacturer's instructions to determine which male plug to pull. Prior SmartTop instructions states to use the 3rd plug, counting from the side where there are empty slots. The empty slots are included in the count. In the last illustration on Step 3 (see above), that would be the plug at the left of the picture. The first two counting from the left are empty. Later SmartTop instructions state to use the plug next to the one that has a brown and brown/black wire pair. At any rate if your first attempt at finding the correct plug fails, stay calm, the later SmartTop models have a flashing green LED, called InstallAID LED, to guide you. (Please review the manufacturer's instructions)

Tip: Once you've determined which plug to pull later, use the strip of masking tape to mark the wire pair of the plug-of-interest.

To remove the CANBUS cover:

Take a closer look at the CANBUS cover, the side that has a row of small square windows. There are 2 small indents (red arrows) on the cover as illustrated below:

·
92,857 Posts
The first two counting from the left are empty. Later SmartTop instructions state to use the plug next to the one that has a brown and brown/black wire pair. At any rate if your first attempt at finding the correct plug fails, stay calm, the later SmartTop models have a flashing green LED, called InstallAID LED, to guide you. (Please review the manufacturer's instructions)

yours has the installaid led so no worry there

stay calm, the later SmartTop models have a flashing green LED, called InstallAID LED, to guide you. (Please review the manufacturer's instructions)

why do you ask this:

To remove the CANBUS cover:

Take a closer look at the CANBUS cover, the side that has a row of small square windows. There are 2 small indents (red arrows) on the cover as illustrated below:

That is for removing the cover to get to the wires to replace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts