Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there more than one version of the smart top module for the 171 There seems to be one with a blue label and one with a reddish one. I have seen the latter advertised for £194 ????

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
yes there are different versions. some have the usb connector for updates. and of course, the different versions of updates 3.1,3.2, etc

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes there are diferent versions. some have the usb connector for updates. and of course, the different versions of updates 3.1,3.2, etc
Thanks Jeff. I Just checked. The one for 193 Uk pounds does have a usb port.

Roof Control Unit Mercedes SLK (R171) CLK (A209) SL (R230) SmartTop STLBMZ1

Code: 99922022290

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I Just checked. The one for 193 Uk pounds does have a usb port.

Roof Control Unit Mercedes SLK (R171) CLK (A209) SL (R230) SmartTop STLBMZ1

Code: 99922022290
This is the one. It should have the InstallAid LED and a mini-USB (female) port.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not quite the bargain I thought. That price is plus tax and delivery. So its no cheaper than others I have seen.

·
19,400 Posts
Once installed and used routinely (especially to unaware bystanders), it is worth every shilling. Skip a dinner or movie theater outing every week and in a short time you'll have the needed financial capacity :)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like its going to have to wait. More immediate demands on the finances today :( Oh well its not the end of the world. :)

·
19,400 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
whats everyones thoughts on installing it in the 172?

I am getting mine in late September and whilst i love the idea of the smart top i am a bit paranoid about the local MB dealer finding it in the car and thus voiding any warranty, also the car not going back together quite right and ending up with squeaks and rattles etc?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Much easier to install than the R171, and very little chance of introducing new squeaks & rattles (in some cases, the installation can reduce them :biglaugh: ). Unless the dealer is specifically looking for it, and you remember to turn it off, there is little chance of them finding it (apart from the USB cable in the centre net compartment, but just put a map or something in there to hide it).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Looks like its going to have to wait. More immediate demands on the finances today :( Oh well its not the end of the world. :)
You MUST get one.

It's literally a life changing device.

I have the German manufactured version, the Cabrio Module, not quite as much functionality as the Smart Top, but does all the important things, and much cheaper.

This is the guy I got it off, it'll go for a lot more but you you can usually get one for less than £70-80. And the seller is very helpful sending full fitting instructions with pictures with the module.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-SL-R230-SLK-R171-comfort-roof-top-module-/150640633463?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2312e1a677

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You MUST get one.

I have the German manufactured version, the Cabrio Module, not quite as much functionality as the Smart Top, but does all the important things, and much cheaper.

This is the guy I got it off, it'll go for a lot more but you you can usually get one for less than £70-80. And the seller is very helpful sending full fitting instructions with pictures with the module.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-SL-R230-SLK-R171-comfort-roof-top-module-/150640633463?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2312e1a677
Just tried to get one a few seconds ago Bid £80 and didnt get it :(

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I will give it a try. He doesnt do Buy it now and I suppose he tries to get as much as poss But its worth a try :)
He has got a nerve. He wants 150 euros plus 13 euros postage. I checked the feedback Most go for well under £100 to the UK The price he talks about is more like the price he gets in Germany.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You MUST get one.

Having just read the installation instructions on two other forums I think I will give it a miss. :( Plug and play as advertised it is not

·
Registered
766 Posts
Having just read the installation instructions on two other forums I think I will give it a miss. :( Plug and play as advertised it is not
Plugged and played for me.

Admittedly , lifting the carpet was hard work, but once the Canbus box was exposed it was all as per the excellent instruction with colour pictures.

Really is well worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.