Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello, long time no post.. haha
I just have few questions about the Smart top module for our cars.
I understand that the module will speed up the process of top-down/up. I saw few video clips and did not notice significant time differences (maybe just in my view..) What are your thoughts?

I actually don't care much about the speed but I like the fact that the module will allow me to close or open the roof while moving at low speed (up to 40mph?).

Please share some downsides (since its speeding up the process, it may put a lot of stress on the roof system?) of this product when you get a chance.

Thanks in Adv and Happy New Year folks!

JB added this link
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I have the Cabrio Module and it doesnt speed the roof up. Cant say about the Smart top but it does give you more functions than the cabrio which is why it costs more I suppose

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome back!!

The SmartTop will NOT speed up roof operation at all, and therefore, will not put extra strain on the mechanics.

Stop putting off the inevitable, and just go ahead and fit one :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome back!!

The SmartTop will NOT speed up roof operation at all, and therefore, will not put extra strain on the mechanics.

Stop putting off the inevitable, and just go ahead and fit one :D
Ah ha! I guess I have the wrong information. I swear I read somewhere that it increase the speed (30-40%?) as well..

Thank you all for your prompt responses!!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
30-35 is the speed you can set while moving

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,899 Posts
IMHO no down sides.

Opening and closing on the move is a nice feature. But I also like the fact that I can open and close from across the parking lot or the one-touch button while I'm putting on my seat belt and sun glasses. I don't have DRLs so it also has the advantage of utilizing my fog lights as DRLs.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
+1 on the Best Mod ever.

Positives - I never have to sit in my car for 22 seconds and either raise or lower the top. My car chirps every time I lock it. I use my fog lights as DRL's. I can presss the red button on my remote and the car will light up long enough for me to see where I am going. I can raise lower the top while driving, and the best of all - I can lower the top as I am walking to the car, and raise it after I get out and am walking away. The hardest part is not looking back !

Cons - You have to remember to disable it (~3 button pushes on the steering wheel) when you take it in for service. It MAY put additional strain on your battery, as now I almost never raise/lower the top with my car running.

·
3,552 Posts
They are offered for sale here on SLKWorld every now and then. If you are quick you can find a bargain. I bought mine here for under $250, but you have to move quick. They don't last long at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
$250 sounds like a deal. Still new, trying to navigate around.
So it's for used, eh?
I read somewhere that SmartTop provides lifetime update with USB? So doesn't matter how old it is? It should work?
My partner who bought my E93 335i, bought SmartTop and it killed his batteries. Had to send it back to manufacturer in USA, but their service is top notch, they had it replaced in less than a week.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also considering the SmartTop and have read the rave reviews. My only reservation - will the roof mechanisms be strained when operating while the car is moving? It seems like the alignment could be easily altered if the car hits a slight bump or something.

I remember seeing one in action on an SL and the road surface was a little bumpy, and even at low speeds I could see the roof wobbling around while it was folding - can't imagine that to be good for the alignment.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,246 Posts
hinotes15,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
3,552 Posts
I am also considering the SmartTop and have read the rave reviews. My only reservation - will the roof mechanisms be strained when operating while the car is moving? It seems like the alignment could be easily altered if the car hits a slight bump or something.

I remember seeing one in action on an SL and the road surface was a little bumpy, and even at low speeds I could see the roof wobbling around while it was folding - can't imagine that to be good for the alignment.
IMHO the ability to operate the roof while in motion is an "only to be used in emergency" feature - like you are out driving and get caught in a rainstorm and don't have to stop for 22 seconds to get the roof up. I have almost never used mine in that fashion. The main advantage for me is that I never sit motionless in the car with my finger on a button for 22 seconds to get the top up or down. It lowers as I am walking to the car and it buttons up as I'm walking away.

Add to that the other nine features and it's just a great mod. Best $250 I've spent on my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts