Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been searching for a suitable steering wheel upgrade. I found a thread on another site that pointed be toward the Smart car range. There is a rather tasty wheel that can be bought all custom (choice of materials and thread colours) made, which really floats my boat. I just wondered if anyone else has tried and succeeded/failed to fit one of these bad boys?

Cheers for now,

Baron

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
And so you have no airbag that works then?
Smart cars have a completely different occupant protection strategy to other (longer) cars and so the airbag will be useless for an SLK even if it would seem likely to fire when needed.
Why not go for the more agressively padded SLK32 steering wheel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point!

Thats a very valid point about the type of airbag deployment. (I assume thats what you mean). It would be my intention to use the OEM airbag within the Smart designed housing and not the airbag that would normally be found inside the Smart steering wheel itself. So long as the dormant state of the SLK airbag is able to fit inside the Smart airbag housing there should be no issue. (ill see if i can put a pic up!) Im now gonna try and find out the comparative airbag capacities.

I have this great way of coming up with ideas, i then go to share them, but i then cant quite get all the information out of my head and explain it well via text lol.

It is my intent on changing the steering wheel to something smaller in diameter without losing the quality feel of MB. There are thousands of steering wheel kits, with adapters and bells and whistles out there but im wanting a clean, luxury sport finish that dosnt look like its either out of a fast ford magazine or from a track day car. I feel that by using a Smart ForFour wheel im not "cheating" on the MB brand either, so i can sleep easy knowing when an enthusiast catches a glimpse of it they wont start tutting! lol

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,611 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts