Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic over my lock button on my smart key has been cracked for a while now, but has gotten much worse this week. I've ordered a replacement key to use as a case donor for my electronics, and wonder if anyone here can give me pointers on removing the electronics from the case. I understand that the white plastic piece is supposed to hold everything in, but can't really see how it comes out.

I know the picture is fuzzy, but the little white piece can be seen- and there's a bit of a notch in it- is that supposed to help remove the circuit board?

I just don't want to kill the key trying to fix it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Difficult to see what stage you are at with dismantle. But assuming the batteries have been removed, you just pull the circuit board out with some Electrical pliers can be a bit stiff but just keep a gentle pulling pressure. You obviously need to be careful.

I have repaired mine by changing case.

Also assuming key from SLK 350 2006.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jiveman, I'll give it another go once the replacement unit is in- practice on the non-functioning electronics first.

Tummy - new chrome key is ~$200. Case swap is ~$20.

I just had a thought that the keys might be under warranty. Anyone gotten a replacement key for a cracked one under warranty?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I got the e-bay key in today, and swapped the electronics. Everything works fine now, and the key is almost as good as new.

Of note (and for future reference, should this post come up in somebody's search for a resolution to the same problem)- here are some tips:

1: When removing the electronics from the shell, you must be VERY carefull, and should cover the tips of whatever kind of pliers you're using w/ papre or rubber- anything prevent them from cutting in to the circuit board, as there are some delicate circuit paths right at the edge of the board, where the little notch is for pulling the board out. You do not want to sever these on your "good" key.

2: There seems to be some kind of retaining clip on the inside of the white plastic piece that holds the circuit board in place. There was no way i could find to prevent it from breaking when removing the board. The board and white plastic piece fit back together, and slide back into place, but there is no resistance to sliding it back out again after the clip is broken. under normal use, this should NOT be a problem, as the batteries and endcap of the key hold everything together nice and snug.

I've called my Mercedez of Buckhead rep twice now, leaving messages, and not heard anything back about getting my key replaced under warranty. I'm really dissapointed in that. I expected more from a Mercedez Benz dealership.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I've called my Mercedez of Buckhead rep twice now, leaving messages, and not heard anything back about getting my key replaced under warranty. I'm really dissapointed in that. I expected more from a Mercedez Benz dealership.
Try calling your sales rep. I think that the front desk girl at MB Buckhead isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I've had issues with getting calls returned until I went through my salesman.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Okay, I got the e-bay key in today, and swapped the electronics. Everything works fine now, and the key is almost as good as new.

Of note (and for future reference, should this post come up in somebody's search for a resolution to the same problem)- here are some tips:

1: When removing the electronics from the shell, you must be VERY carefull, and should cover the tips of whatever kind of pliers you're using w/ papre or rubber- anything prevent them from cutting in to the circuit board, as there are some delicate circuit paths right at the edge of the board, where the little notch is for pulling the board out. You do not want to sever these on your "good" key.

2: There seems to be some kind of retaining clip on the inside of the white plastic piece that holds the circuit board in place. There was no way i could find to prevent it from breaking when removing the board. The board and white plastic piece fit back together, and slide back into place, but there is no resistance to sliding it back out again after the clip is broken. under normal use, this should NOT be a problem, as the batteries and endcap of the key hold everything together nice and snug.

You know the old story "if you want something, go in person." Show up and don't take no for an answer.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,161 Posts
Last I heard, the cracked case is a COMMON problem AND MB has decided not to cover any of them anymore. My service guy show me an MB notice explicitly stating they would no longer be covered...

Where did you get the "cover"? At MB?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since I already swapped cases, I really can't bring it in for warranty coverage now. Wouldn't mind bringing in the cracked case + other electronics for a free key though (not gonna do it).

I thought the case issue would be "wear and tear" not a defect in manufacturing.

I ordered a used key off e-bay. Spent an hour browsing through listings and bought the cheapest one with a picture showing it was in good shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.