Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sun Tzu says that the best victory is when your opponent capitulates and surrenders without ever engaging. Hmmm, maybe that is what happened. I was returning from a trip south to see Mom and them and was in a turn lane behind a older Mid-80's Z/28. As I sat looking at the rear of the Z, I could see a fuel cell, braided metal fuel lines, a race car style battery cut-off switch in the bumper, etc. Rear tires were Micky-T drag radials. Very competitive arm-drop drags are popular in my area and it was clear from the loud, crisp revving chevy that this was not a stock old LT1. We turned onto the 4-lane headed west and he immediately romped on it and that confirmed my assessment as the old Z shot forward and squirrmed sideways as the rear tires fought for grip. The light at the next crossing turned red and we had a mile long straight in front with no traffic and no crossings. What to do??

Who knows what it had under the hood but not being one to shy away, I pulled along side in the other lane and clicked the 55 into "S"-mode. The driver was revving his engine and making all the right noises. I figured that I would let him have the jump and see if I could reel him in. The light turned green, my brain said "Go", I waited for the blast of noise from the old Chevy...

Nothing, nada, zip. I watched him slowly pull away quietly and then I rolled into the throttle and passed him, then rolled in more throttle and pulled away normally for me (fast) and he just tucked tail and surrendered, lol. Oh well, if it was as fast as it sounded, I would likely have been busted :eek:)

Thank You Sun Tzu

Irish

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,650 Posts
Loudness does not = speed. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts