Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have just got an SLK200 automatic, gorgeous car but a bit on the sluggish side.

My last sports car was manual and I had quite a bit of power when needed to pull out at roundabouts/switching lanes on motorway etc.

I was on the motorway recently and accelerated to switch lanes before a vehicle behind me caught up but my car was so slow to accelerate that I had to stay in the lane because the car behind me caught up first!

Its going to take some getting used to :(

I have read about the + and - gear shifts next to the D on the automatic gear box, tried it but its quite tricky to get used to.

Does anyone have any driving tips on increasing power at low speeds?

Thanks

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts
did you have a chance to read my links above and see if they apply? it was the weekend also so members should reply when they login

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Lady,

Jeff has posted links to a couple of suggestions regarding your car, and the transmission reset is the first thing I'd try. In addition, be sure you are using quality premium fuel, as noted in the second link from Jeff.

A bit more info from you may help others with suggestions: how many miles are on it? Have the spark plugs been changed?

Tim

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,663 Posts
Slk 200 is a heavy car 1450kg with 162 hp, I also find 200 a bit sluggish. You cant do much, just put your foot down on the acceleration, and then your car will down shift more aggressive.

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
I'd guess if you want a spirited drive then you'll need to keep the car in S, and get used to using the slapstick.

jUst like a manual, you can change down a gear or two by moving the shift lever to the left - each tap left will change down a gear, but you'll need to remember to tap right again other wise the car will stay in the lower selected gear. Experiment with chAnging gears on a quite road first..

I've not driven a 200 auto so can't comment that well on what they're like performance wise, but wouldn't imagine them to be that bad....

Reactions: 55russamg

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K
1,139 Posts
Hi

I was on the motorway recently and accelerated to switch lanes before a vehicle behind me caught up but my car was so slow to accelerate that I had to stay in the lane because the car behind me caught up first!
This is a strange one..because we just love the way our 2005 SLK 200 Kompressor ( Automatic) seems to pick up her skirts and race forward... when overtaking. Mind you, you do need to floor the pedal to get such a surge.. but then.. wow.. off she goes.:smile:

I note the other ideas put forward.. and would also suggest you look at the latest service info on your car. What has been replaced/repaired. Is the Kompressor working properly.

Not sure whether you bought privately or from a dealer.... but here, I discuss things with our local MB dealer (even though we bought the car in UK)..they are always very helpful. Perhaps you can do that ...

Maybe you just have to learn a new way to drive.. I use S mode for local, twisty roads.. where the speed goes up and down all the time..I use C on the motorway long stretches..

The + and - I tend to use when II want to hold a particular gear despite what the car may prefer to do.. ie up or down steep hills...

I think that is a very rough idea of things.. someone else will chime in and correct me if I have got it wrong.. no problem... we are all here trying to help one another to get the most out of our great cars. :grin:

Let us know how you get on...

Stella

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 200 K rocks forward when you approach or engage kick down as an earlier poster says. I do get blitzed by the big beemers as they belt past, but, hey, the wind is in my hair so let them belt on.

The only issue I have with mine is the slipping tranny for the first ten minutes til fluid gets hot. Then it's fine all day. Very irritating but won't be messing with the conductor plate yet.

I must try that Techron though to see if there's any difference. It's recently gone on sale here through a certain retail outlet.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,871 Posts
Hi

I have just got an SLK200 automatic, gorgeous car but a bit on the sluggish side.

My last sports car was manual and I had quite a bit of power when needed to pull out at roundabouts/switching lanes on motorway etc.

Its going to take some getting used to :(

I have read about the + and - gear shifts next to the D on the automatic gear box, tried it but its quite tricky to get used to.

Does anyone have any driving tips on increasing power at low speeds?

Thanks
Its a new car as such and are you comparing it to your last car ?
Firstly make sure your car is running correctly as in a service then put it in sport mode .
And the car will have to learn on how you drive etc .
M
Best is to re-set the auto box and then go from there . :grin:

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried the kickdown. If I accelerate hard when moving away, there is a short delay. Maybe I am just so used to having a powerful sports car that takes off when you touch the accelerator that its going to take a while to adjust to an automatic transmission.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Moving from manual cars to an automatic will feel very different, especially if this is your first auto. The slight hesitation you describe is to be expected with most automatics, although you will get used to it and quickly adjust your driving habits and style accordingly.

Just remember that the gearbox can't see the road around you, so you sometimes need to exaggerate the accelerator input somewhat... i.e. If you need to accelerate quickly to overtake, get used to using the kick-down (by pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor - there's a switch that's activated when you press the pedal to the floor). Be very careful about doing this if you're pulling out of a turning though, as it could spin the rear wheels, and the traction control may have to cut power to prevent you from losing control.

As a matter of interest, what was your last sports car, as it would be interesting to know what you're comparing it to and whether you should expect similar performance from your SLK, or not?

Reactions: 55russamg

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,871 Posts
I tried the kickdown. If I accelerate hard when moving away, there is a short delay. Maybe I am just so used to having a powerful sports car that takes off when you touch the accelerator that its going to take a while to adjust to an automatic transmission.
Yes you will just have to adapt from going from manual to auto sadly .
It may improve later as your auto box learns how you drive :)

Failing that dont drive so fast :grin::grin:

·
Registered--SLK is no more
352 Posts
You have some options!
1) Reset the throttle response (check Jeff's link)
2) Sprintbooster
3) ECU remap to get you upto 200hp (much much better given the weight!)

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
The short delay is remedied with the power booster, Piecha power converter etc !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.