Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,918 Posts
How much does this add to the price tag of the regular model (I think that one's $183K base)...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Honestly, the SLS Roadster looks like a proper roadster. The long hood. I love it.

The new SLK has such a blunt front end that the hood appears short.

The SLS has such a long hood that the blunt front end doesn't affect it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't like the double fin thing. Think it should have either the hood ones or the side ones. Doubling them up makes it look sorta tacky. Kinda like the hood ornament + front star emblem.

Don't care for the rag top, but I'm sure they didn't put a hardtop for weight reasons & aesthetics (it would change the shape of the trunk).

Overall the car looks rather plain to me, especially for $200k or whatever. The SLR is somewhat obnoxious in terms of it's exterior design, but at least it does look like an exotic.

Interior is nice, think it looks ok even with the ac vent things.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
...Don't care for the rag top, but I'm sure they didn't put a hardtop for weight reasons & aesthetics (it would change the shape of the trunk)
:confused:Regardless of the reason, can't imagine anyone buying any new, big name, luxury car with a rag top. One hundred percent deal killer for me.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
:confused:Regardless of the reason, can't imagine anyone buying any new, big name, luxury car with a rag top. One hundred percent deal killer for me.
Wow. I'm a bit surprised the members here feel that strongly.

What is the primarily objection?

For me, the primary objection would be how clean a fabric top would remain? I suppose as long as you have indoor storage and only drive it on special occasions as most would with a SLS, it wouldn't be an enormous problem.

In terms of sound, I have been in plenty modern fabric top cars that sound as quiet or more quiet than my SLK, so I don't think that is an issue.

The back windows are normally in glass now, which was a bit problem in the past.

You can configure a E550 Cabrio for mid -70s I believe too. I guess it is a lot for a fabric cabrio, but it's just too big for a hard top IMHO.

If I knew I could keep the fabric top clean, I wouldn't have a huge objection.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Wow. I'm a bit surprised the members here feel that strongly.

What is the primarily objection?

For me, the primary objection would be how clean a fabric top would remain? I suppose as long as you have indoor storage and only drive it on special occasions as most would with a SLS, it wouldn't be an enormous problem.

In terms of sound, I have been in plenty modern fabric top cars that sound as quiet or more quiet than my SLK, so I don't think that is an issue.

The back windows are normally in glass now, which was a bit problem in the past.

You can configure a E550 Cabrio for mid -70s I believe too. I guess it is a lot for a fabric cabrio, but it's just too big for a hard top IMHO.

If I knew I could keep the fabric top clean, I wouldn't have a huge objection.
Keeping the fabric clean would be a pain, but I would rather have a shiny metal roof than a dull fabric one. I understand why they used a soft top and the reasons are legitimate, but I would have also liked a hardtop, at least as an option. The car is already quite heavy so adding another 100 pounds to get the hardtop looks wouldn't bother me.

If they really wanted a unique design, they should have done a retractable gullwing hardtop. Not sure how that would work, but it would be worth an extra $20,000.

I found this top view of the SLS. Looks the the R171 from above, doesn't it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
More towards my argument that the SLS roadster tried to keep things more classic unlike the R172.

The seatbelt loops that hold them in place are still the leather strap with the SLS Roadster like our R171.

The R172 has the odd looking plastic protrusions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts