Mercedes SLK World banner

SHOULD I DO IT?

• keep the 350 and the 500 (best of both words)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Get rid of the 500, its an old mans car, GO AMG

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Get rid of the wife

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Take your pills and go to bed.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT
actually it made it a lot better and I want to thank you for it.
Not Only I was prepared for my purchase, I was also quite aware of what to expect and how to deal with the problems.
So My 2005 350 that has now all its problems fixed (debadged from AMG signs, SRS light, Engine Balance Shaft, Second Key not working, new tyres, front bushings, major service etc) and is quite a joy to drive and own.
I bought it at a fair price and it was a good deal (it was stored for more than 4 years by some guy who apparently didn't have the resources to maintain it and had it on an ad at a totally ridiculous price.
I took it for inspection, got aware of the problems, made an offer and here it is.
I have it for less than two months and during the first two weeks it was in the shop for repairs.
Ive added only 2.100 km to the clock and until today I was totally satisfied.
Why until today?

I went by the shop to collect my second key that was finally fixed and there comes the service manager that says that he has an interesting offer for me.
He proposed a trade, my 350 +8.000 for a 2008 AMG 55 with 45.000km on the clock, full service record, new tyres and some after market wheels that are supposed to be very expensive (that I personally do not like at all).

So I came home and discussed this with the wife, who says "If you want it you can have it but you have to sell the S500 also).

The S500 is a 7 years old car, with 102.000 km no problems and is the long version with tons of extras.
I do not have children and rarely ride with friends on trips etc (everyone prefers to ride on their car) and although I really love it and is extremely pleasant to own and drive, ever since I had the SLK it is just plugged to the revitalizer in the garage.
It has more trunk space, but we never actually felt we needed that and has all the electric stuff such a car is supposed to.
Market price nowdays is still good and can be easily sold.

So this night, here I am in dilemma.

I know the 55 is actually the 350 with more power.
I know the 500 is incomparable to the SLK, it is like comparing a Lear Jet to an Edge 540
I know that the SLK has less space
I know I am comparing apples with oranges
Ι know this specific AMG needs some more things done (Like better Audio and Navi, and definitely different wheels)
But on my recent trip, I had such a great time (even with the 350 engine and to top down) that I think I became addicted.

Need someone to stop me.
Please tell me I am wrong.
(or prove me right so I can just go there and make the deal).

Thoughs? Any thoughts? Will I regret it? Will it be fun?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The only regret I have buying into the 350, is the lack of an 8 cylinder engine. My vote is yes, do it.

Ok now that I see the poll, that last option does sound inviting.

I'll go with: ditch the 500, keep the three fiddy, be glad your wife is so understanding, AND take your pills. Then go to bed and dream about driving-that's what I do!

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,871 Posts
DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!
get the datacard
See my albums!!!!
Black be beoootiful!

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts

·
92,871 Posts
So you have your answer. you don't need no poll.
go get it

go get it right now before it is gone and you will be crying

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
So you have your answer. you don't need no poll.
go get it

go get it right now before it is gone and you will be crying
I think the poll results are quite conclusive already Jeff! :wink:

·
92,871 Posts
The people have spoken!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only regret I have buying into the 350, is the lack of an 8 cylinder engine. My vote is yes, do it.

Ok now that I see the poll, that last option does sound inviting.

I'll go with: ditch the 500, keep the three fiddy, be glad your wife is so understanding, AND take your pills. Then go to bed and dream about driving-that's what I do!
I am on my mid age crisis.
I really need my pills.
And the AMG55
or not
maybe
I don't know.
Is it hot in here?
I need a drink
And an AMG55
or not?

·
92,871 Posts
look at the poll results yet?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hi All

When you collect your SLK 55 AMG & drove it home you will not want to jump into the S500 again so it will have to go to make room for all the cleaning stuff. Also we all know that getting rid of the wife will be a very bad idea as your need both incomes to keep your 55 up to the standard it should be kept . So I hope its a welcome to the 55 club .

Cheers

Andy (7 years in & still loving the 55)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts