Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I've set up a [email protected] team for SLKWORLD.COM

If you have ever heard of [email protected] this is very similar but for medical purposes
rather than space exploration. You can get involved using your unused pc time to help.

Basically how it works is you load a small program on your pc and this program does complicated medical calculations and feeds the info back to the stanford university. It only works when your not using the resources of your pc and it also makes a cool screensaver while your away. And it may give you a nice little feeling if you think your PC is actually being used for something useful for a change. you maybe be helping people with

* Alzheimer's Disease
* Cancer
* Huntington's Disease
* Osteogenesis Imperfecta
* Parkinson's Disease
* Ribosome & antibiotics

read about it HERE

Download the little app here

when you install the app. it'll ask for a user name and a team number the team number is 53562

See how our teams doing here.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=53562

Any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Brian

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll try keep these updated.

Grand Score 3,482,520
Work Unit Count 6980
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate 471 of 47435

D

·
0 Posts
I'm in.

As you say its nice to know your helping out, i will get the machines at work on it also but will probably set them to anonymous

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in.

As you say its nice to know your helping out, i will get the machines at work on it also but will probably set them to anonymous
Sweat mate.

Typo fixed. Bill Thanks.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I'll sign up tonight but I'm using a dinosaur computer (pentium 3). Heck, it still works and serves its purpose still.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I'll sign up tonight but I'm using a dinosaur computer (pentium 3). Heck, it still works and serves its purpose still.
Even the processing power on an 8080 is still awesome - only reason modern PC's seem slow is coz of Windoze and, as I understand it, the little app connects to a server to download a few parameters, then your mighty processor (yes even a Pentium 3) does the rest - you won't even know it's running, and yet you can be doing something awesome. GET SIGNED UP !!

·
19,407 Posts
Even the processing power on an 8080 is still awesome - only reason modern PC's seem slow is coz of Windoze and, as I understand it, the little app connects to a server to download a few parameters, then your mighty processor (yes even a Pentium 3) does the rest - you won't even know it's running, and yet you can be doing something awesome. GET SIGNED UP !!
Will do, sir. (Windoze :biglaugh:)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woolly is spot on. Any computer running today would be a help. IF you think even a 8080 as wolly mentioned can do something like 600,000 instructions per second. A P3 can do about 500 million instructions per second. it's only very un-efficient compiling and software design that makes these amazing componets seem sluggish.

·
19,407 Posts
Signed up tonight. Username:etyu, Team no. 53562.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just signed up as well! :)
Cool. I've set one my cores to use only smaller files and the result came a lot quicker. it's postred now. where as my other core and the laptop are runnning 5mb plus files and the laptop says it'll be done next tuesday. ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Not had time to install this on work computers hopefully do that in the morning but on my laptop the process memory starts to spiral way up after a few minutes and performance really suffers.

Any ideas as to the program settings to try and stop it doing that?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try putting no to working on files larger than 5mb. That maybe a default setting already I cannot remember. You can also turn down the processing power it's allowed to use. try altering that to 50%. not had the problem myself. I turn it off if playing games. But when browsing and doing general stuff i don't even know its there.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
something else I run the program in a non graphical method. if you goto command prompt. cmd in the run window. then browse to the installed dir.

default (C:\Program Files\[email protected]) then type fah -local

if you wish to set-up the program again run fah -config -local.

you can make a shortcut to run this easily or even run the app as a service so it'll start when you start windows.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Signed Up, but it just kept crashing my Graphics Card and causing the system to repeatedly reboot. :confused:

Had to system restore to sort it.
Will try again tomorrow (With a different version) as it's a great idea for idle time.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You wait till I hit it -possibly Wed, but wait to see my score !! (just on a cheapy Tosh laptop)!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha, my laptop has been running it non-stop for 3days. ETC on tuesday. ;)

Sorry to here that elwood. You can try the non graphic version I mentioned above it doesn't use you graphics card just your CPU, you dont get the cool screen saver effect though, so you cannot pretend to the lady that your doing some advanced form of chemical research to cure cancer... :tu:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine is slow too.. but i dont want to trick the settings... after all, I assume it has been developed for optimum conditions - like our SLKs!
So I'll wait... and may be i will add my laptop in parallel to my desktop!

1 - 20 of 382 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.