Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take an oppotunity from time to time to recognize some of the members who contribute so much to this site. There are so many members that make it as special as it is, but thanks to a great idea from V8SLK I'd like to try something new.

I would like to let all the members nominate any other member that they think deserve special recognition based on their contributions to the site, and it does not have to be monetary. Quality posts, a helping hand, kind words, etc.

Again, I don't want to take anything away from ALL the members that continually contribute so much on the site, but wanted to take a moment to recognize an outstanding member with an SLKWorld.com 'Silver Star' award.

Feel free to send me a private nomination or you can post publicly as well and at the end of August we will take an opportunity to recognize the SLKWorld 'Silver Star'.

Thanks again to everyone for being here and for all that you do!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Is this limited to one person?

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
I nominate etyu (Eddy). Have you SEEN his Smart Top install guide??? That alone is priceless. To say nothing of all the other helpful posts.

And Dan. I need say nothing about him, I think.

And Gabus and livefreeordie, for watching over the R170 members.

And jbanks, who makes everyone fill out their profile.

and others... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, there are sooo many members that contribute and it would no doubt be difficult to narrow down to just 1. But if this works well and everyone likes it, we could do it on an ongoing basis, maybe quarterly and give the site members a chance to recognize over time a number of people. I like the idea of not letting members who do so much for the site go without recognition.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Great Idea. We have some very knowledgable, level headed, members who I always enjoy reading their post. Not to sleight anyone, because everyone contributes. What are the rules?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
....And jbanks, who makes everyone fill out their profile. :biglaugh:
:eek:fftopic: Kinda like.... (substitute SLKWorld for "this Army")

Drill Sergeant: Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?
Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!
Drill Sergeant: God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump. Listen up, people...
Forrest Gump: [narrates] Now for some reason I fit in the army like one of them round pegs. It's not really hard. You just make your bed real neat and remember to stand up straight and always answer every question with "Yes, drill sergeant."
Drill Sergeant: ...Is that clear?
Forrest Gump: Yes, drill sergeant!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
Thanks Don!

This is a great idea. I need some more medals on my chest!!!
sooo many to nominate!!

sulley, would it be a poll to vote on?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My first thought is Dan, but as I consider him to be site Admin (please correct me if I am wrong), I don't think he is an appropriate choice, but, HE DESREVES SO MUCH THANKS AND RECOGNITION.

The obvious choice to me is Eddy (etyu). For years he has supported this site monetarily, through amazingly helpful posts and a true desire to be a friend and aide to others. Eddy is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. He truly has earned his nickname of being the site's Ambassador of Goodwill and my car and I are both better off for knowing him. :hail:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
Eddy, can i be your campaign manager?

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
My first thought is Dan, but as I consider him to be site Admin (please correct me if I am wrong), I don't think he is an appropriate choice, but, HE DESREVES SO MUCH THANKS AND RECOGNITION.

The obvious choice to me is Eddy (etyu). For years he has supported this site monetarily, through amazingly helpful posts and a true desire to be a friend and aide to others. Eddy is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. He truly has earned his nickname of being the site's Ambassador of Goodwill and my car and I are both better off for knowing him. :hail:
I second everything Scott said.

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have already had a number of private message nominees. I wasn't going to put alot of rules on the nominations. It doesn't matter if they are a subscriber or not or how much $ they donate. Just an opportunity for you as a member to say or recognize what someone on the site has done to help you and say thanks. After the nominees are submitted over the next several weeks I'll narrow down to the top ones. I have not decided about a poll just yet, I wouldn't want it to be a popularity contest. We will end up with a poll or having all the moderators and/or research group vote. The only real rule I would say is to explain why you are nominating this person, the more information the better the case.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts

:tu:As the crowd roars "Eddy, Eddy, Eddy.... I agree. Very helpful here and in person. It's easy to provide help here, Eddy has helped others in person on several occassions. Plenty of others that deserve recognition for their efforts. Thanks to those that always assist.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Thank you for all the very kind words. There are many others that are more deserving.

DansSLK would be my first choice, then UK-C200, then..., then ..., there's so many. I don't know if it can be narrowed down to a few persons as this is a community (and an AWESOME one at that).

Reactions: UK-C200

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Curious to see if this will be addressed Saturday night in Vegas...
Sulley????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the delay in the reply, the Vegas event has consumed every resource and energy I have. There are so many people that contribute it seems tough to narrow down, but I had planned to incorporate into the Vegas event.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
No matter how hard you try, Sulley, this will become a popularity contest if final decision is left up to the members. They always do.

While people should nominate to you who they feel should be considered, as the "buck stops here" head of the forum, I think the actual decision should be made by you based on what was sent in and what you see, and that you should keep the final list of consideration private.

The problem with a competition for people who were doing good without it, is that in the short term it boosts people's productivity, but then makes others drop out as they feel they will never be recognized because they have less to offer. However, if instead of pointing out one with an award, you give the top 50% a mention then it tends to keep more people interested.

Trust me, Sulley, in helping take a small regional Fiero club to being second only to the factory sanctioned original club, in the USA and 22 countries, I have already gone through all the pitfalls of this type of process.

Good intententions and all that.

That being said, I would nominate a good ten core people I think keep this going, interesting and add value. You have to add weight to those that spend time, as that is the most previous comodity, but you cannot forget those that also submit financial support, which also must receive acknowedlgment.

Without creating "categories", Sulley, I see this being a very hard task you set for yourself...

However there is one out...

In setting up the free car show we did for the Fiero club, my partner Frank wanted to give a $100 award to someone. Being that we did not want to always just honor the person who had the best garage queen, we made the award his choice on whatever car took his fancy for reasons unknown.

One year, it went to a car that had a weird plexiglass front bra, just cause he thought it looked intereesting with the silver paint. One year it went to a dirty 4-cylinder with hand controls driven by a handicapped man in a wheelchair who showed dedication to get in and out of a mid-engine car and drive it because he loved it. One year it went to one that was blue and owned since new, etc.

The award never upset anyone or made anyone feel left out because the true reason behind it was never really known. It just was his choice of something that stuck out.

How about the Sulley's choice for outstanding friend to the forum for the year? We can suggest people, but in reality you choose and you can keep your reasons to yourself. Someone get's honored, and everyone else applaudes and know that not knowing the qualifcations they just keep doing what they can to help and maybe next year is their turn. Others see that helping out they get a chance too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.