Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently come back from the lake district and driving my SLK55 around this beautiful place was the best driving experience I've had. The roads along the lakes and into the mountains are so good. The scenery is amazing.

I've become very attached to this car and not had this with previous cars. I think I will be keeping it for a long time. I've always been a big fan of big normally aspirated V engines and hard top 2 seater convertibles. So it's ticks all the boxes. It is also a modern day classic.

How long has everyone had their slk for?

I personally think the R171 is the best looking and most aggressive looking model with the F1 style bonnet. I think the others are too square.

I also think they're better looking than the SL. I was going to get an SL but in my opinion they don't look special and too much like a normal mercedes. Granted they're extremely powerful but I still know closing the SLK was the best decision.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of different opinions?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
My 3rd SLK and had 3 in a row since 2002. I usually got a new SLK every 3 years but I stopped when the R172 came out because of the nose. Yes, I just love my 55!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Yes, I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions... I love the R171 styling, and my SLK55 in particular... I will have owned mine for exactly 1 year, this Thursday! :tu:

I drove an SL55 before I bought my SLK55, but it felt more dated and less 'sharp' to drive than my SLK55! :D

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
3 1/2 years for me and still loving every minute ....

When I get a car I like I tend to keep hold of it for a fair while - I had the last car (a V6 Alfa) for over 10 years ...

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,803 Posts
I've had the pleasure of driving Mabel for about 2 1/2 years now, and I've loved every minute of the 55k I've done in that time. As my Windrestrictor states "STILL SMILING" :smile:
She ticks all the boxes for me too. :tu:

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea all SLKs are good but I just love the F1 style nose like Jeff said.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,777 Posts
We love our 2009 SLK 55 and just like JBanks we have owned 3 SLK's. 01 SLK 320, 2010 SLK 300, and a 09 SLK 55, the 55 is the best, just love to here that motor rumble and jet blast take off. Teehee!

Oh and I am not a big fan of the 172s, the nose is too long and the rear seems a lot bigger too! Not sure about the new SLC's design, why change the name from SLK to SLC??

·
Registered 2000 slk 320
301 Posts
due to finances(lack of) and family I,ve always driven bangers(last car before silky was an 02 Suzuki swift!!)but now the kids have flown and I,m nearing retirement I thought what the hell!!......if only I,d known,i,d have had this permanent grin on my face years ago!!!:smile:

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first convertible was a 67 MGB I bought for $600 when I was 16. It had a blown drive train but that did not stop me (many stories there)... Wow, I have made a major jump in car excellence. A super fun drive every day and its too bad I only have 10mi to drive to work:) I almost bought an NSX at twice the price (no power steering)! My poor Toyota truck now gets little attention even though it values at twice the price... Still, I need to get my dirt bike out on occasion.

Six months in and always a big smile (and mussel cars wanting to race), better yet my 76 year old dad came to visit and I had to capture his grin as he drove the car 1 foot off the guardrail:) I was scared... This car is a great value after 9yrs used ($17k)!

Attachments

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do like the R172 model but think they should have kept the long nose instead of flat. Looks a bit like a boat. Which I think a rolls royce looks like.
My SLK is the same as yours ButtonPusher.
What's with the SLC? Not my cup of tea. They are ruining new cars, like they did with the Civic, Audi TT and now the SLC. Big normally aspirated engines are a dying breed. I much prefer them to piddly smaller engines with turbos on. The car tax on mine is £260 ish for the year as the new tax regs came in 2006 to make it £480ish and mines a 55 plate so just missed it. Private plate with initials and 55 in on its way too.
I am a fan of the SL63 AMG Bi Turbo though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.