Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Hi all

Sorry your all wrong , I love my SLK & that SLS is like WOW !!!! , but unlimited funds its got to be the SL65 Black Series or i could be ok with the SLS soft top all in black of course .

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
+1! Sorry guys, love my SLK, but if given the choice on a pauper's budget, SLR any day of the week.
Wow, the SLS is almost as long as a batmobile... The SLR was a sweet car but I'd pick the SLS over the SLR or Kleemanize the SLK55. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Wow, the SLS is almost as long as a batmobile... The SLR was a sweet car but I'd pick the SLS over the SLR or Kleemanize the SLK55. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get a Ferrari.
I've done the Ferrari (F355)....I would own one again. It's just that its a one trick pony and not as versatile as an SLR or even the SLK....but it does that trick like nothing else.

I have been considering doing the Kleeman treatment on my SLK or just go buy an SLR. I'm at that point in my life where I can financially do it, however I will wait to see how Obama :butt: will spend my money going forward first.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Much as I try, I just can't feel the love for the sls, especially in side profile.

There's something not quite right about the proportions to me - especially the size of the side window against all that bodywork in the door/sill and between the side and rear window

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree, from the side the SLS looks like a communist block attempt at a SL. Perhaps she was designed by Merc's East German hires?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have been considering doing the Kleeman treatment on my SLK or just go buy an SLR. I'm at that point in my life where I can financially do it, however I will wait to see how Obama :butt: will spend my money going forward first.
I agree with you on the SLR. Pull the trigger. Then take a long trip to St. Louis so I can see it. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The SLS has been rented by a friend of mine for the weekend, I just went for a ride in it (as a passenger as unfortunately i'm not insured to drive it). I must say that even as a passenger it didn't feel half as good as I feel when driving my 55. It felt very heavy and somewhat unresponsive (perhaps it was the drivers fault though....), where my SLK feels like a slipper gliding along the road with power on tap.

Saying all this though, nothing can take away from the noise that the SLS makes and whether you think it's ugly or not it's definitely a head turner. If I could afford it i'd have one but the SLK55 wins hands down in terms of fun factor.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Comparing performance of SLS and SLK55 (171 and 172) is absurd... Drive both cars and you will notice the technology advances of the newer car.. 63 engine is very fun to drive.. Not so friendly to tires and gas money though

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Owned both

I loved my SLK and would say it fit like a glove and drove like a fighter in relationship to the SLS that I would have to say is more like a stealth bomber with more size, thanks for the photo didn't quite realize how much more size, more presence, and more go. I found many wanted to challenge the SLK not knowing what it was but most take one look at the SLS and back off. Between the two do I have a favorite? The SLK is exactly what it's name says, and the SLS is a grand tourer that can run with the big dogs. So in conclusion they are both awesome cars and at the moment the SLS is my favorite but who knows there may be another SLK in my future.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
For Quicktwinturbo.
On a run my SLS is doing about 23 MPG and I am about to change rear tires after 15k which is 5k more than I got with any tire on my SLK 55.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For Quicktwinturbo.
On a run my SLS is doing about 23 MPG and I am about to change rear tires after 15k which is 5k more than I got with any tire on my SLK 55.
You are doing it wrong then!!!jk :) My friend replaced his tires after 6000 km (not MILES) lol.. He sold his after putting 30,000 km within 9 months.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used to think my SLK55 had a long bonnet!
Wow, is the SLK really that small or is the SLS really that huge?

I had heretofore only seen an SLS sitting alone on a podium at the NY auto show. It didn't seem so big in that venue.

Given that photo, I'd have to vote for the SLK myself. Just not comfortable with large cars. It's beautiful, but not for me.

Along the same lines, I was behind a new Aston Martin Vanquish coming home from work last night. That thing was huge compared to my SLK55. I was once again surprised by how big it is in person. I looked up the specs when I got home, 3,900 lbs and 107 inch wheelbase. For some reason I thought they were smaller. It had a beautiful exhaust note though. I thought the SLK55 had a nice sound but I had the top down and caught a face full of Vanquish exhaust noise. I think the Aston wins the fossil fuel concert competition.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I spent the weekend in London and got to see a couple of SLSs in the flesh and was surprised at how different they look in real life vs the photos I've seen. I saw one in white, and one in black with red accenting and they both looked great and the proportions thing wasn't anywhere near as obvious.

Also saw a couple of SLRs - one in white which sounded unbelievably gorgeous barreling down Regent Street, and the other a red with black accenting making much less of a show (aurally not visually) along Oxford Street.

Also got to see an SLK 55 in diamond white in the flesh - much more of a pearl off-white than the photos I've seen conveyed, but looked great.

Those were the headline MB's for me, but there were tons of SLKs of all ages and specs, so my head was on a constant swivel :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts