Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 3 day trip from Freemont California to Baltimore Maryland, it was day 3 outside Indianapolis that we finally ran, he led 2 of the 3 races by hitting it from 60 mph and after he took off I hit the floorboards, but on the third race I led and I pulled 2 car lengths and he made up 1 by 125 mph.
My car has the Renntech CAI AND a tune, but of course his is cammed tuned and Lord knows what else.
So 3200 miles or so, 3 days, 6 foot 1 1/2 inches and 260 pounds and I was comfortable the entire trip. The car is near perfect, I think anyone with the 55 AMG is very fortunate.

·
Banned
433 Posts
you should do the three-honks thing, so you both take off at the same time, instead of one trying to run the other down

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will keep it in mind in the future, great thing was a 600 cc sport bike went by me, I stood in it as he hit it and outside the initial 4 or 5 car lengths from 60 mph he pulled, by 130 I was reeling him in and by 150 I was backing out of it as I had run him down. That was truly impressive. I think he was more shocked I was on him at 150!!! But now it is time to grow up and drive it like I want it to last.
Thanks Mercedes-Benz for building such an amazing automobile.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,486 Posts
Never give up; never surrender.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Scat Pack Charger

Next time do em from a dig. That Scat Pack is nearly 4000lbs heavy and it makes serious gobs of torque. That is either gonna spin the tires trying to roll that big mass off the line, or activate the TC if it is left on. Our cars are very good off the line but not really endowed with gobs of power. Good power but...

As the speeds increase, the car with the most power is gonna slowly gain the advantage and his weight penalty becomes less of an issue as wind drag vs horsepower becomes the limiting factor instead of mass & torque.

The slower your starting speed, the more likely the SLK will come out on top, in my professional opinion. Starting from 60mph is giving the more powerful car the advantage. I have seen 0-60 numbers on the Scat Pack that range from 4.3-5.1 sec. I would bet that the lower figures are from a well treated drag strip surface. 1/4mi times ranged from 12.3 - 13.1 sec. The SLK is right in the middle of those figures. They are close enough to come down to whomever gets the best reaction time and launch off the line. Should be a very close race until you get way up on top end.

Irish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts