Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
On track the porsche. it's 300 lb's lighter has sweet 19" rims and similar power. I was racing these things all weekend it's like there a skateboard round corners. and lickely on the 1/4 mile also. but it starts at 20k more in off the shelf form.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that they are amazing around the track and especially the C4s it sticks like glue. the reason i asked this question is because i raced my friend and he has a carrera s and i won in straight line 3 out of 5 times so i just wanted to see if other SLK55 ownes raced any carrera s and won

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The 4s is actually slower. yes it sticks like glue but it shares the same problem we have in that it's fat! Still i'd put your experience to skill/timing? I've been on the track with so many porsches as I tend to do PCA events and down the straights the 2WD's are faster at lower speeds. The SLK has it 100MPH+ on most cars. I've even gained on GT3's down the oval straight at TWS. but thats nothing to be impressed at, as the Cayenne twin is also a sports car eater on the straights. I wouldn't be concerned with the difference. in such cars on the track your skill will make your car so much faster or not! Be happy there both awesome cars, yet very different and so much fun.. but you have a spare 20k ;)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
MJawa 55 said:
i wich the were many different tracks that i could go to easilly. Thanks easty.
Yes I know, i used to race bikes in the UK, and although we do have many amazing tracks in a close distance. we also have so many people who like to use them.

I used to pay 240 pounds (420$) for 1 day at donnington and here I pay 130pounds(245$) as a local track for 2 days. ok its not donnington, but still laods of fun on the track.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ur so lucky that ur in the US, here as u know everything is overpriced, specialy car modz. the only good thing is that BP stated to supply 102 oct fuel in some of its stations but once again it cost 1.50 GBP a Ltr

·
Registered
267 Posts
hmm

straight line most likely SLK55. But in terms of handling the Porsche ... no question about it.

Of course if you Supercharge ... those 997 S don't stand a chance. Literally I need to brake or I"d be flying over them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i really want get a supercharger but MBUK say that if i do anything to the engine i loose my warranty and any future purchases of a warranty extension, and the other thing i want is the SLK55 black series side wings (vents).

·
Registered
13 Posts
MJawa 55 said:
i really want get a supercharger but MBUK say that if i do anything to the engine i loose my warranty and any future purchases of a warranty extension, and the other thing i want is the SLK55 black series side wings (vents).
Does modifications (e.g., supercharger) also void MBUSA warranty???

·
Registered
267 Posts
depends

If the part broken can be proven to have been affected by the modified parts ... then it is no longer under warranty.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Ive killed 997 S and 4S in stock form and Ive also killed a 4S with a relatives chipped Bentley Continental Flying Spur that has drop in filters , diverter valves and an ecu upgrade which in total has 630hp to the engine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 911 Carrera S is extremely fast and handles like its glued to the road. In terms of a comparison between it and a SLK55, there is no comparison. The SLK55 is not really in the same price range or performance category. Car and Driver posted 0-60 times for a Carrera S in the low 4s, like around 4.3 seconds but, the average driver really can't get that time, it requires a lot of tricky footwork, but porsche posts a 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds. So, in terms of reality, the 911 carrera S is faster in a straight line. When it comes to handling, its even worse, the gap is even greater between the two cars, the porsche will destroy the SLK when it comes to track use. That statement is not an opinion, its a fact. Porsche has been refining their cars forever and their target is to make a car the performs like a race car, which is not entirely MBs objective.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Consider this:

You could S/C a SLK55 for <20 Grand and get a performance ECU. It would boost the power up to about 512BHP and 492ft/pds of torque and you could put stiffer springs/shocks on it, and bigger anti roll bars and stickier tires for less than the price of a stock 911 Carrera S. That would lower the 0-60 time to about 3.7 seconds:):tu:, my buddies done it, he beat a Lamborghini Gallardo in a straight line race to 150MPH.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Car and Driver posted 0-60 times for a Carrera S in the low 4s, like around 4.3 seconds but, the average driver really can't get that time, it requires a lot of tricky footwork, but porsche posts a 0-60 time of 4.7 seconds. So, in terms of reality, the 911 carrera S is faster in a straight line.
Don't you mean to say. "in terms of reality, the SLK is faster in a straight line?"

C&D posted times of 4.3 0-60 for the SLK. Being an automatic, it's not very difficult to get times a few tenths off. I don't know where to look for all the specs but I wonder how well they match up on quarter mile times/trap speed.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Don't you mean to say. "in terms of reality, the SLK is faster in a straight line?"

C&D posted times of 4.3 0-60 for the SLK. Being an automatic, it's not very difficult to get times a few tenths off. I don't know where to look for all the specs but I wonder how well they match up on quarter mile times/trap speed.
I have to agree with DSB, torque wins in this case.
The SLK55 is faster than the Carrera S and 4S

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I agree with both dsb and alroumi, autos are hard to beat b/c it shifts consistently by the computer, times on the mags are the BEST run they had for the day, who knows how many times they tried to get the best time. With auto's, they are pretty consistant. How many vids have you watch that has one or two drivers mis-shift and they had to redo another run. In reality if you raced a stranger at a stop light, one chance is all you get. I put all my money on the SLK55 everytime. Porsches are tricky to launch as you mention. There's so many errors with M/T and it's not hard to put the 55 on "S" mode and full throttle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Consider this:

You could S/C a SLK55 for <20 Grand and get a performance ECU. It would boost the power up to about 512BHP and 492ft/pds of torque and you could put stiffer springs/shocks on it, and bigger anti roll bars and stickier tires for less than the price of a stock 911 Carrera S. That would lower the 0-60 time to about 3.7 seconds:):tu:, my buddies done it, he beat a Lamborghini Gallardo in a straight line race to 150MPH.

trust me you dont need an SC to beat a Gallardo, i beat my friends gallardo (not from stand still) (rolling start from 80 kh) till i hit the limiter when we were driving down from london to monaco for last years gp. i wish i had a camera to video. hopfully this year ill take one with me to show u.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Unfortunately, the handling aspect is a rough battle for the SLK 55. as much as i love the v8, the weight ditribution is too far off, not to mention skinny skinny rear tires...all you can do is ADD weight in the trunk if you wanted to improve the handling and traction. i think this is the most tail happy car i have ever driven.

Amazingly, the carrera doesn't feel anything like a rear engined car, feels as good or better than a mid engined car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.