Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
No surprised there, the SLK55 had more than 100hp on most of the cars there, so it's not exactly a fair comparison, the Boxster did surprising well, considering tiptronic was a horrible transmission, might had been even closer with the 6speed. Not sure why they didn't choose the 6sp for the Z4. Still a fun video to watch, I've seen it a few times and never seem to get bored.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why the 55 AMG and not one of the other SLK models, would have been more interesting and more in line.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed seeing the 55 win.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
What's interesting in the video is how the lap times are better with the top down. During the video, one of the drivers said that they lose downforce with the top down, so the results was surprising, considering that Tsukuba isn't a fast track.

-K
In my experience autocrossing my '55, the car handles better with the top down. The roof is steel and heavy, so when it's up, the center of gravity is higher and there is less weight on the rear tires. With the roof down in the trunk, the center of gravity is lower and there is more weight on the drive wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Mark...you'd be one to ask - any issue with chassis torsion/twisting? It's often one of the biggest complaints with convertibles, but I don't abuse (take it anywhere near the limit) the car so I've never noticed.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Nothing that I've noticed. I'm coming from autocrossing a 2011 BMW 135i coupe and I can honestly say the SLK feels much better on the course. The car feels very well balanced and stable.

Two Sundays from now is our next autocross event. I want to get one of the more experienced drivers to drive it and give me their opinion. Maybe the driver of a C6 Corvette Z06 that's consistently in the top 10. Should be an interesting comparison as both cars are high torque rear driver cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts