Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

One of my rear tires has a wear on the inside and need to change the rears on my slk55, the tires are the OEM Pirelli P Zero, the dealor is asking $380 for each plus install. Discount Tire is around $302 for each.

My question is I have TPMS in the car, so is that something that is with the tire or the stem on the rims. By changing the tires from Discount tire or tirerack would I need to order anything additional for the TPMS to function properly? or the tire change would not mess that up?

thanks.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Mercedes TPMS is in the valve stem. Common practice, however is to replace when you change the tires, as the batteries do wear out. I *think* the MB recommendation is every 3 years?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, wonder when they charge $380 for a tire if the valve stem is included or thats an additional.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
The TPMS batteries should be good for 7 to 10 years.
A good tire shop will replace the o-ring for the TPMS at every tire change.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Are you guys sure an slk uses sensors bececause mine doesnt so i think you are mistaken or US cars are different, SL55 use them I think but that older technology. I fit my own tyres and use std valves I can guarantee that. Sensors are not reqd for tire pressure measurement because the abs sensors measure each wheel and an algorithm detects differences in relative speed and of course rolling radius changes with pressure. This is why the tyre system has to reset periodically, if it was measuring pressure then a reset wouldnt be required as its fixed

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discount Tire (DT) price includes everything. BTW, DT will price match Tire Rack. For me, TD charges the TR rack price + shipping + DT's installation price ($12.50/wheel), and no sales tax (you didn't pay TR any).

One warning, although I have have nothing but praise for DT, I'd check into how they plan to raise the car. You don't want the AMG plastic damaged.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
My car has OEM TPS units installed; it will alarm is the pressure on any tire gets out of a preset range.
It has two warnings, one for pressure and one for system problems.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Last time I had my tires changed at Discount Tire, technician states it is routine to change the O-rings of the TPMS (valve stem mounted), otherwise they will not guarantee against air leaks from the tire installation. IIRC the valve-steim mounted TPMS became standard on model year 2008 US vehicles.

Earlier models uses software as TPMS, based on rotational forces of the wheels (tire+rim).

·
Registered
109 Posts
yes u.s. cars are different. All 08'+ cars regardless of make or model require a tire pressure monitoring system. The actual sensor attaches to the valve stem, but you can get the stem separately- costs around 30$. The older sensors are good for approx 96month but you never know. the dealer charges alot for tires because its for your convience, tires take up alot of space and they dont get nearly the same hookup on them as a tire only shop.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Confirmed

Discount Tire (DT) price includes everything. BTW, DT will price match Tire Rack. For me, TD charges the TR rack price + shipping + DT's installation price ($12.50/wheel), and no sales tax (you didn't pay TR any).

One warning, although I have have nothing but praise for DT, I'd check into how they plan to raise the car. You don't want the AMG plastic damaged.
Using America's Tire Co. website (under Did you find a better price), cut and paste the URL from Tire Rack to show the price per tire and submitted together with contact info to local America's Tire Co. I got a call from the store manager stating they will match by backing off the price of the tire, to account for sales tax and shipping - essentially bringing the price point to be the same as Tire Rack.

Will be going in next week for 4th set of rear tires (trying out Prop Dr's recommendation -- Hankook Ventus Evo, 255/35-18).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well got my tires done, first it seemed the dealor was the only one with the tires in stock, also when I just went in to the dealership they gave me a total different price than when on phone. They turned out to be much cheaper than DT in the end so just got it done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.