Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm not sure whether to be concerned about some noises which I believe are coming from my transmission.

At first I could only hear the noise when down changing. As soon as it changed down a gear, I could hear a slight jingling/rattling noise. It was possibly three, maybe four quick metallic sounding clicks in fast succession. Almost like a bag of coke can lids.

Now I can hear it also when I stamp on the accelerator....which is quite often :)

Aside from the noise, there are no other issues with the box not changing gears or anything else. It works perfectly. Just the noise concerns me. I did have a x-pipe installed, so I'm not sure if this could be related to the exhaust now being loose.

Any ideas???

Thanks

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Are you able to bring it to an indy and have it lifted for inspection of the components around the tranny? Might as well inspect the whole under-carraige while it is up on the lift. Check the integrity of the transmission mount.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Motor mounts, transmission mounts, lose bits of the exhaust - all are possible sources. My 7g does not make any noise like that, so I'd want to know "what" it was just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas guys. At least you haven't said that it's a tell tale sign of imminent gear box failure. I'm hoping it's something as simple as mounts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Replaced

My transmission went out at 46,000 miles. I downshifted down to second gear, it froze up and would not shift up or down. When mercedes got the car they said the transmission ate itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you track down the cause of the sound?

I'm having similar symptoms with my car too.
Sorry for the delay in responding....haven't been on here in a long time. No, still making a noise, but no problems with gears shifting. My car is going to MB on Tuesday. I'll let you know what they find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.