Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As hinted at in the Project Blackout - The Sequel thread, Jae graciously offered to perform a paint correction on my new-to-me 2009 SLK55, which had not been treated very well by the original owners.

Jae recommended that I do PDR work beforehand to get rid of all dents and dings and creases in the car (there were lots!) so that was done this past Thursday.

Jae came in last night and we started working on the car early in the morning, and worked pretty much for about 10 hours. Although he keeps telling me that the results are still nowhere near what they will be tomorrow, I am already very impressed now that we've reached the end of Day#1! It is night and day really. :tu:

Work done today:
- Wash
- Clay
- Engine dress
- Coarse polish of entire car
- Exhaust tips

And here are some pictures!

Clay bar after thorough strip wash:

Engine dressing. Guess which half was already done in this picture!

The famous before/after test area experiment, where you tape up a section and then compare the part immediately next to it, that hasn't been treated yet.

http://www.slkworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=304234&stc=1&d=1465702174[img]

And the result! Very impressive!

[img]http://www.slkworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=304242&stc=1&d=1465702174

Removal of residue left behind from hood grille fins, with clay bar:

Check that out!!! :D

Hood coarse polish completed!

Moving to the roof. Utmost concentration!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day#1, Part#2

Touch up paint applied to very bad chipped areas on the driver's side door, before the polishing stage on this panel:

Passenger side coarse polish:

Exhaust tip work. Another guess at which half is done?

Using a Dremel to remove the caked on soot residue on the rim of the exhaust tips:

The man with the plan!!

Working on the dreaded side skirts, which have more curves than the Hockenheim:

Jae spent a lot of time on the back area, which is also very curvy causing the polishers to frequently stall. The solution was to use softer pad and just go very slow and careful. The result is very good:

That's it for Day#1. I think Jae and myself are both rather tired, and will be very sore tomorrow. But tomorrow is Day#2, so we'll be back at it bright and early!! (And walking like old men probably)

All in all a very fun day of paint correction work. It really is a lot of meticulous careful work but the results are quite stunning. I can't wait to see the results at the end of the work day tomorrow. Thanks for doing all this Jae. It's amazing stuff!

Attachments

·
AND MABEL
13,771 Posts
Top marks to Jae, the car's looking great Durk!

Thanks for all the photos.

Can't wait to see the finished article. :smile:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Looks a great start and heading for a great finish..what compounds and polishes are you using to do the paint correction?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts
Jae is the greatest!!!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Can't wait to see it with "me own eyes" .

Looks like a great weekend for both :tu:
Valuable, practical and productive. Looks like Jae brought his "tools of the trade" to San Diego.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jae can chime in with more detail on the products and tools, but I have some of the answers, I think.

What product was used for the engine dressing?
Adam's In & Out Spray

Looks a great start and heading for a great finish..what compounds and polishes are you using to do the paint correction?
Coarse stage was Menzerna FG400
Fine polish stage was Menzerna SF4000
Sealant was Jescar Powerlock+

And now for Day#2!! :D

Which was:
- Fine polish
- Another strip wash, including wheels this time
- Sealant
- Interior detail

First step of the day was the fine polish stage. I don't have action shots of this, but you can imagine it looked much the same as the coarse polish :D These are some pix of the result:

The next step was outside, and was a second strip wash to get rid of all the dust accrued from the 2 polishing stages as well as excess grease from the 2nd stage polish.

Additionally the wheels were also done during this wash, or rather before.

I am going to have the wheels refinished soon, so we didn't spend too much time on removal of blobs of road grime on the insides etc, but Jae showed me some good products and tools to use that make cleaning much less of a pain in the rear.

Removal of excess polishing compound and dust from the nooks and crannies, with soft brush:

The wash itself:

Final stage is sealant. This is applied without pressure using softest pad, and left for about an hour to bond.

Infinitely easier to apply than Klasse to be honest. Even if it weren't to last as long, this stuff is so easy to apply that it wouldn't matter, because the barrier to just redoing it is very low.

While the sealant was curing, Jae moved to the interior and did the dash, leather, trim.

Removal of sealant after an hour is just a wipe-down, and then!... it was done!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day#2, Part#2

Also known as, "The grand reveal".

The results are honestly much better than I had ever expected. While stone chips cannot really be removed by this process, just the fact that the area between the chips is now flawless makes you notice them much less. As far as scratch removal I would say that swirls were 100% removed, and scratches are practically all gone, even fairly deep ones, and including the bad scuff marks that were left over the car from honestly unknown causes.

The color of the car appears to have gone darker by several shades, due to the very deep gloss and shine. The car is now pitch black and looking awesome. I cannot thank Jae enough for giving up his weekend and doing this process with me. The results are stunning.

I realized reviewing the pictures that I didn't take any "after" shots of the interior, but I'll remedy that soon and add those here.

After all the work it is good to spend a little time enjoying the view!!!

Once again, thanks a million, Jae. Just amazing work! :tu:

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Nothing less than amazing !!! :tu:

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
There's something wrong with the final picture above. You and Jae seem to be missing something as you are sitting admiring the fruits of your labour!

Where's the :Beer::surprise:

Car looks amazing guys! :tu:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,758 Posts
Great job guys!!!!

·
AND MABEL
13,771 Posts
Amazing seeing the before and after pics. What a transformation! Thanks guys for posting this thread and the pics. Shows all of us what can be achieved if the time and effort is put in. :tu:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts