Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't know exactly how long this has been going on but heres a little history, I replaced my resonator about a year ago with a custom x-pipe. 2 Months ago I replaced my secondary cats with straight pipe. Love the sound.

I've never heard my exhaust from the outside so recently I made a video to see what the sound was like, thats when I noticed theres a ticking/rasping sound after every rev. I've never heard this sound when driving with top down or up.

Anyone have any clue on what it might be? Thanks guys.

Heres the link to the video, taken after a 30 minute drive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there,

Did you ever resolve the rasping noise? I had an x-pipe installed a few months ago and didn't have any rasping issues. Over the w'end I had my secondary cats removed and now have the same issue as you. Sounds exactly the same as yours. Unless I can resolve it, I'm thinking about re-installing the cats. I like the extra noise, but don't like the rasp.

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
I have an x-pipe and secondary cat delete as well, no rasp. No idea what's causing that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sounds like something is loose, probably your j pipes. That's what happened with mine. I'm still in Dallas for a couple of days and would be happy to take a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still haven't gotten the rasping noise to go away, Thirteen dog where are the J pipes located? Since that video I've had a muffler guy replace the custom x pipe i had with a magnaflow version, great welds, and the secondary cats are still same 2.5 inch straight pipes.

I've recently installed headers into the system and it still has that back end rasp, friggin love the change in tone with new headers though. Brings the exhaust note a touch higher octave so it sounds a little more refined.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't have an X-pipe instead it goes straight back to the resonatorvia a 3 inch pipe. I have a j pipe just past my fake cats. They trick the O2 sensors so I don't throw codes for not having cats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.