Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in need of exhaust guidance.

Looking to enhance the sound, and if the performance increases that would be a welcome bonus. I am looking for something like a 20-40% sound increase at idle and under accelleration, but without it being overly noticeable at crusing speeds.

I have searched and read all I cdould find on the subject and think I can get what I want from a local exhaust shop for very little money, but wanted to check with some of the more knowledgeable members to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

I was intending to remove the resonator and replace it with a custom x-pipe. I also intend to have the secondary cats with straight pipe.

I have been quoted $250 for this....

Will this work well?
No engine codes?
Anybody running this setup?
Too loud?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
467 Posts
The x pipe and cat delete will make a noticeable difference. I'm unsure about running with out any cats.

I have solo sprint x-pipe Kleemann race cats and a set of Kleemann headers. I just love the sound.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intend on leaving the primary cats (Twoard the exhaust manifold) in place. I was only going to remove the secondary cats and the resonator.

Hopeing to find someone who has done this, likes the sound, and got no engine codes.

Thanks,

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 05 AMG too and felt it was a little too quite for me. After some searches, I decided to go to the the local muffler shop and have my midpipe resonator removed and in it's place a xpipe welded in - not sure if any at all performance gain - but I do love the new sound - little louder on cold start up - but then quites down, until I get after it - then its all smiles!!!
I did it with the thought I could go back or try something else - this was cheap at only $150ish (forget exact amount) and I felt anything else with MB or other supplier would be a whole lot more from the start. I'm happy and think I will stay this way, until I can step up to a Kleeman SC (one can dream - right?)

oh, and NO engine codes thrown

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Removing the secondarys and the resonator will not throw any codes - so you are good to go there.

Can't comment on the sound one way or the other, as I was a bit more aggressive! :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,728 Posts
HI dougrobling

As Mixedup has said get a Xpipe fitted to start with & see how you feel , I have had the Xpipe fitted & it great . Yes more sound on cold start up , Very very little extra sounds on tick over & crusing , But the extra deeper sounds start to come in at about 1500 revs , I have heard a 55 with Xpipe & two cats removed & it was too loud for me , Great sounds but to live with it day to day would be too much imao , look on you-tube there a few good videos .

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Anyone have any sound clips of a 55 with an xpipe fitted along with secondary cats deleted? I have a custom xpipe installed and I'm looking for a bit more. It's just a touch tame in my opinion.

·
1,728 Posts
Hi MarkR171

you tube you should take a look

Magaflow x-pipe

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have maganaflow x pipe with secondary cat still attached. Sounds a bit louder than stock but they are def noticeable and better.

Expect sound to be a lot more louder without secondary cat.. One of my friend removed both primary and 2ndary and it sounded annoyingly loud...

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Hi MarkR171

you tube you should take a look

Cheers

Andy
Thanks, those should help others, but neither of those videos show an SLK with secondary cats removed. I already have an xpipe installed. Looking to determine the amount of difference between cats and no secondary cats.

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Thanks, that first one seems to be Xpipe, 2nd cat delete AND muffler delete as he has another video labeled "resonator (xpipe) and muffler delete"

Though for some reason the license plates are different

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Got the X pipe from SuperSprint, Kleemann secondary cats 200 cell and Kleemann Headers. Very nice sound.

·
1,728 Posts
Hi MarkR171

Sorry but the top video has 2rd cats removed , I know as i have meet up with the owner before i had my Xpipe fitted . The lower video is not that good as the car is inside the garage.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am sure removing the resonators and catalizers it will also improve HP!
I have done this on my chevy corvette with a "h" type exhaust and gives almost 50hp more!!
But my 55 AMG to me is a different catagory and would rather leave everything original

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hello,

I am in need of exhaust guidance.

Looking to enhance the sound, and if the performance increases that would be a welcome bonus. I am looking for something like a 20-40% sound increase at idle and under accelleration, but without it being overly noticeable at crusing speeds.

I have searched and read all I cdould find on the subject and think I can get what I want from a local exhaust shop for very little money, but wanted to check with some of the more knowledgeable members to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

I was intending to remove the resonator and replace it with a custom x-pipe. I also intend to have the secondary cats with straight pipe.

I have been quoted $250 for this....

Will this work well?
No engine codes?
Anybody running this setup?
Too loud?

Thanks,
Doug
If I could do my exhaust over again, I would've gone to a quality exhaust shop that does mandrel bending instead of buying from Supersprint.

Maybe follow this member's exhaust thread: http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/28603-slk55-exhaust.html

Each person's sound preference is different though-too loud for him might be just right for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been running my 2007 slk55 with custom xpipes from a local muffler shop for about 6 months now, the sound difference between stock resonator and xpipe is very minor. Really only when you open the throttle will you hear a deeper roar.

Recently I finally found a muffler shop that cut off the secondary cats and replaced with stainless steel straight pipes, i'd say its 30% louder than xpipes alone. Fantastic v8 sound at lower rpms,very minor v8 burble, no droning. really loving the sound and to me it is not too loud at all, cruising around its still very quiet and really doesn't intrude on the cabin noise.

No difference in exhaust fumes without the secondary cats, and so far its been a week and no error codes. Xpipe cost me 150, finding the muffler shop that will cut off the cats is the hard part, but cost me only 100 bucks.

DOO IT!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.