Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 SLK 55 with resonator delete and Magnaflow x-pipe install. I later removed the secondary cats and now have a minor drone sound at 1800 rpm. Anybody else experience the same? I am considering the installation of dual small resonators as a solution. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Hmm I haven't got any noticeable drone on mine, although my X pipe is not the same as yours?

Perhaps someone will comment who has same as yours to rule that out.

Definitely no leakage from the work done is there?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,269 Posts
No noticeable drone from mine either, although my x-pipe was custom-made, not Magnaflow... I know that @Col has a Magnaflow x-pipe with 2nd cat delete, but I haven't heard him complain of a drone either... perhaps Col will add his input here when he sees the thread. :)

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,438 Posts
My Magnaflow setup is fine. After reading your comment regarding 1800 rpm I have tried to hold it there and listen a bit more. The exhaust note is deep in that rev range but not what I would call a drone! My car isn't usually in that rev range for very long unless I'm stuck in traffic!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that you are correct - it is not really a drone, but more of a very deep booming. It actaullay lasts from about 1700 to 1900 rpm as I accelerate. Not a major problem, but I dont care for that tone. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a feeling I'm gonna get to learn all about this very soon... Just now I'm dropping in the Kleemann's, deleting the first cat and swapping in a custom X-pipe that deletes out the second cat and resonator.

Still on the fence on the second cat and resonator delete but I'm really tempted..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do it!
You won't regret it:wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up installing a pair of 12" long resonators in the location where the secondary cats were removed. SO the exahust system now consists of secondary cat delete with x-pipe and twin straight through resonators. I really like the sound now. I should mention that I'm 59 years old, so maybe more sensitive to the loudness than you youngsters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts