Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was curious about whats different about the Black series intake elbow. Found out that it was missing the mittle flaps inside.

long story short i removed the ones from mine and noticed the car is more responsive (I also removed the metal mesh thats in-front of the MAF sensor). top end seems better too :D...

Anyone else done this mod to theirs?

Pleased with the result 100%

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
The metal mesh in front of the maf is to keep 'larger' particles that get past the air filters from entering the MAF
I know of what I speak
Back in 2008, when I 1st got my 55, I installed a bad batch of green filters
they disintegrated and the pieces were all caught up in the metal mesh.
just sayin'

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
251 Posts
Tell us more!

Hey guys,

I was curious about whats different about the Black series intake elbow. Found out that it was missing the mittle flaps inside.

long story short i removed the ones from mine and noticed the car is more responsive (I also removed the metal mesh thats in-front of the MAF sensor). top end seems better too :D...

Anyone else done this mod to theirs?

Pleased with the result 100%

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tell us more!
Sorry there is couple typo's in there!

So the story goes, I was cleaning my MAF sensor and throttle body and noticed the elbow connected after the
MAF had to flaps that curved around the inside of the elbow. I did some googling and found that the Black series
didn't have them.

Out came the dermal and so I removed them both and while I was at it I removed the metal fish net and plastic cross web part before the MAF.

Since removing it the car feels like more throatier and more responsive, I'm assuming they were a restriction as its just straight through now with nothing interesting.

I assume removing any type of restriction whether its small or big would help the engine breath easier - YES?

Just waiting on my Air filters now and after the wedding more mods :D ....

·
251 Posts
Ah - so this isn't something that is easily reversible if issues pop up. I've dug into the pre-MAF screen topic before. I was always left with the impression they are designed to provide the MAF with non-turbulent air, and that any restriction was pretty much negligible.

The vanes you dremelled off are certainly a curiosity! They are after the MAF and, as you have observed, not even on the Black Series. Please keep us informed with your ongoing observations! Driveability, mileage, any codes etc.

Thanks again!

tn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah - so this isn't something that is easily reversible if issues pop up. I've dug into the pre-MAF screen topic before. I was always left with the impression they are designed to provide the MAF with non-turbulent air, and that any restriction was pretty much negligible.

The vanes you dremelled off are certainly a curiosity! They are after the MAF and, as you have observed, not even on the Black Series. Please keep us informed with your ongoing observations! Drive ability, mileage, any codes etc.

Thanks again!

tn

Just an update

I would highly recommend doing the Elbow mod as my friend normally drives my car and said the car felt different since he last drove it.

He said it pulled harder and just felt more grunty, esp low end.

I dont have any error codes - idles perfect too

·
251 Posts
Well you definitely have my attention! Please continue to offer feedback.

This spring I plan to inspect my PCV and EGR systems and while I'm "back there" I would be in a prime position to mod the elbow.

tn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.