Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When were the facelift models launched and what changes were made ?

I am currently looking at an '08 AMG and am not 100% sure whether it is 'pre' or 'post' facelift, it has the paddle shifters on the steering wheel rather than the buttons, does that mean it is 'post' ?

Many thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,304 Posts
facelift was my 09 as I have one. changes were mostly cosmetic and also the brake calipers. try a 'search' top right as it has been discussed before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup did a search and couldn't find a definitive list really.

On a side note, how come there are very few 2007 /2008's for sale whereas there seems to be a fair few 2005's ? Is this due to reduced production numbers ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The list is far greater than most realize.

I have found this through facelifting my '07.

Exterior:
Antenna
Wing mirrors
Front bar
Headlight clusters
Star
Star surround grilles
Foglights
Foglight grilles

Interior
Steering wheel
Instrument cluster
Aircon vents
Window switches
Armrests
Gear shift surround
Roof control panel
Cup holder
Storage bin
Satnav
Buttons under satnav
Aircon control panel
Between seats storage
Between seats rear storage
Glovebox lid

That's all I can think of presently.

Buy a facelift one!!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:I really like the enhancements on the 2009-2011 SLKs. Especially the SLK55, minus the brake degrade.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Wolfman.

What's the easiest way to tell if the car i'm looking at is a pre or post facelift as at the moment i'm struggling to work out whether it is or isn't ?!!!

As i said earlier it has the paddle shifters rather than buttons which i originally thought meant it was a facelifted model, but i also thought the facelifted ones have the shorter aerial / antenna and this one has a long one so i'm confused !!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the reply Wolfman.

What's the easiest way to tell if the car i'm looking at is a pre or post facelift as at the moment i'm struggling to work out whether it is or isn't ?!!!

As i said earlier it has the paddle shifters rather than buttons which i originally thought meant it was a facelifted model, but i also thought the facelifted ones have the shorter aerial / antenna and this one has a long one so i'm confused !!
Then it's pre.

There were some changes early on, PRE-facelift too. The very earliest pre-facelift cars had buttons, the later pre-facelift ones had paddles. They changed the dash material too.

Couple of pics pre and post of mine attached.

I lucked out though-now I have a facelifted car WITH the good brakes! ;)

I have pretty much finished the interior too-it makes a MASSIVE difference.

You can see from those pics the exterior differences. Mirrors are completely different, front bumper, fog lights, all grilles in the bumper, the star is slightly different, the bonnett grille is mesh rather than plastic slatting and the headlight cluster is darkened.
I should have added "wheels" on that list too. The facelifted cars had the same wheels, but with the inside surfaces painted grey. I've had that done.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou very much Wolfman, that's extremely helpful and will clear a few things up for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Then it's pre.

There were some changes early on, PRE-facelift too. The very earliest pre-facelift cars had buttons, the later pre-facelift ones had paddles. They changed the dash material too.

Couple of pics pre and post of mine attached.

I lucked out though-now I have a facelifted car WITH the good brakes! ;)

I have pretty much finished the interior too-it makes a MASSIVE difference.

You can see from those pics the exterior differences. Mirrors are completely different, front bumper, fog lights, all grilles in the bumper, the star is slightly different, the bonnett grille is mesh rather than plastic slatting and the headlight cluster is darkened.
I should have added "wheels" on that list too. The facelifted cars had the same wheels, but with the inside surfaces painted grey. I've had that done.

Two quick questions:

As you have mentioned, the star is slightly different. Would changing this be a quick "plug and play" swap? I assume so since it is part of the hood, and the hood remained the same.

Secondly, is the FL bumper a quick swap as well? You mentioned the fogs were different, this would mean aside from just getting a facelifted bumper, you'd need facelifted fog lights as well correct?

Thanks for sharing! Very informative.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
. . . the star is slightly different. Would changing this be a quick "plug and play" swap? I assume so since it is part of the hood, and the hood remained the same. . . .
The star is part of the grill, not the bonnet, and the change is minimal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The star is a simple swap, but the bumper is a bit more complex, a whole bunch of underlying support needs to be changed too. Yep, you'll need to change the fogs. The whole thing will look a bit silly if you don't swap the slatting for the grilles too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.