Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent quite a while researching available exhaust modifications for the SLK55 but I would appreciate opinions of other owners who have modified the exhaust. I don't have any experience with 8-cylinder engine exhausts so I have a hard time imagining what individual component changes would do to the sound.

I am not looking for a horsepower or torque increase, just a different (moderately to significantly louder, and meaner) sound. I would also like to stay below the California 90 dB limit (at least under 4-4.5 K RPM), so I am not aiming for anything outrageously loud.

I believe the stock exhaust is too restrictive. It sounds like exhaust gases strain to pass through which is not surprising given the number of obstacles in their paths.

I don't want to replace headers or catalytic converters, just the center resonator and the two rear mufflers.

My ideal sound is close to this SL:

The question is, what would give me this type of sound?

Option 1. Purchase an entire catback system (x-pipe and two mufflers) from Supersprint for $2800+.

Option 2. Remove center resonator, replace with straight pipes; keep stock rear mufflers.

Option 3. Remove center resonator, replace with an x-pipe; keep stock rear mufflers.

Option 4. Keep center resonator; replace rear mufflers with straight pipes; keep exhaust tips.

Option 5. Remove the entire catback exhaust, replace with straight pipes all the way; keep exhaust tips.

Option 1 is the most attractive to me because stock catback exhaust can be disconnected at the flanges and kept intact. However, I doubt this Supersprint setup will sound loud enough, or the way I want. Anybody here with Supersprint mufflers?

Options 2, 3 and 4 make it impossible to put the stock exhaust back together in its original form. Having searched through existing threads, I know that several members of this forum have done option 3 and maybe even 2. I'd like to hear their opinions. Is the sound achieved by the Supersprint or any other x-pipe similar to the SL sound in the clip above?

Options 4 and 5 require a good exhaust shop that is probably next to impossible to find. They may end up way too loud as well.

What do you think?

P.S. If anybody between Santa Rosa, Walnut Creek and Santa Cruz, CA has a modified exhaust I'd appreciate the opportunity to hear it.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Option 3 as I've done it before and have a video clip to help you seal the deal.

However, mine has Kleemann 2ndary catalytics when I took this video. It also has the SuperSprint/Carlsson X pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Option 3 as I've done it before and have a video clip to help you seal the deal.
Thank you. Yes, that sounds good... what were the maximum RPMs in your video (for example, around 19-20 seconds into the clip)?

How would you describe or quantify the increase in exhaust volume due to the x-pipe, in the 2.5-3K RPM range and under load?

·
10,723 Posts
The sound is marginally louder and stays louder only if you drive fast or on top of the rpm's however above 2,500 rpm it gets louder as the exhausts are more free flowing. If and only if you love to hear the sound of the v8, its worth it. If you get annoyed by the increase in sound your money isnt well spent. I love the sound of the x pipe with the catalytics as I find it to give the car with a muscular tone that you can control with your speed. In cruising the car sounds close to oem and is nothing annoying nor obnoxiously loud. What is loud is my current setup with the Kleemann headers which sounds loud cruising.

The 19-20 second scene is around 3-4,000 rpm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This video starts out with a full throttle run from about 70 to 142 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. The mic is mounted on the rear license plate. My car is stock except for a Magnaflow x-pipe and Green filters.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/TWS-on-19-Jan-08-run4_148795.htm If you look at some of my other videos at Streetfire, you can hear what low speeds sound like. This link is a lower speed event at GSS. You can hear what the car sounds like at part throttle below 100 and at idle. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Grand-Sport-Speedway-in-SLK55_157528.htm
I also have a G55 and can tell you the blown 55's sound much different from the naturally aspirated ones. Both sound great.
The Magnaflow stainless X-pipe cost me $200 to get installed.

·
10,723 Posts
This video starts out with a full throttle run from about 70 to 142 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. The mic is mounted on the rear license plate. My car is stock except for a Magnaflow x-pipe and Green filters.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/TWS-on-19-Jan-08-run4_148795.htm If you look at some of my other videos at Streetfire, you can hear what low speeds sound like. This link is a lower speed event at GSS. You can hear what the car sounds like at part throttle below 100 and at idle. http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Grand-Sport-Speedway-in-SLK55_157528.htm
I also have a G55 and can tell you the blown 55's sound much different from the naturally aspirated ones. Both sound great.
The Magnaflow stainless X-pipe cost me $200 to get installed.
I just knew you have a G55 AMG, what a impressive machine any video clips ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
No vids of the G55. I use it as my daily driver and as a tow car when I track the SLK. The torque this thing puts out is amazing. Although the SLK is faster and handles worlds better, I like the G more as a street vehicle. Like the SLK, it attracts a lot of attention. It will also polish off most of the "quick" street cars around. Here in Texsas, there is always some idiot in a pickup that wants to run. It's hard to resist. For a reference point, it's quicker than a 350 Z or a Boxster S in a straight line. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of manual control of the transmission. The SLK has spoiled me.

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
53 Posts
I realised there are no CATs in this system. I am looking for something just like that, my question is: Will engine lights come on without O2 sensors connected?

Any chance of improper fuel mixture from false readings feeding the Engine ECU?

Hi,

Just for future reference we do a system for the SLK 55,
It saves a significant amount of weight and both looks and sounds incredible.

Here is a link to our website:
Mercedes AMG SLK55 inc. Black Series - Sport Exhaust (2005 on) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,623 Posts
I realised there are no CATs in this system. I am looking for something just like that, my question is: Will engine lights come on without O2 sensors connected?

Fred,

@fredmec00

this thread is almost 9 years old

QuickSilver Exhausts has not been on since: Last Activity: 03-19-2012

you might want to post any questions in a new thread

http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,433 Posts

Took me a while to track down the exhaust mine came with.

Turned out to be QS.

Very happy with it.
I still have cats but the QS has a nice 'town' sound and a great open road echo.

At low revs it keeps the Decibels circa 75 but open up and they go into the 90s.

Perfect compromise for living on an estate and cruising through quiet villages
without getting the locals up in arms.

Mercedes AMG SLK55 inc. Black Series - Sport Exhaust (2005 on) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems

This link demonstrates the low and high sound nicely.
SLK55 inc. Black Series R171 AMG - Sport Exhaust System (2005 on) - QuickSilver Exhausts

Listed at £1480 on the site.

Have a look at Eisenmann too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.